When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA 2671 Servicing

Graman

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a tute or instruction set to service an ETA 2671.

I bought one in Malaysia at a street market, but it died after about 4 weeks.

I'm sure it's just in need of a lube, however I'm not sure about how to go about this...it's a VERY small movement!

If I over-oil it, it will just run fast anyway....

Thanks in advance for the help.

Best,

G

Hi Repaustria,

Thanks for the advice, and the insight.

I'd been reading a few books, and have assembled a toolkit over the last couple of years of tinkering.

Have not fully pulled down a movement, and don't plan to until I find one that I can work with that doesn't have any emotional attachment.

Yes, I understand watchmaking is an art, and I have a healthy respect for it - and those who practice it - they have far more patience & skill than I, however I do relish in finding out how things tick....

Good advice....will simply pick up a sealed eta, methinks and drop it in under the hood.

I've done it before with a DOA SMP, however if you have any advice, I'm happy to take it....I'm here to learn.

Cheers mate.

Best,

G.

The 2671 is one of the most challenging movements to service, due to size, design, etc. It's got all the same parts as the 2836 which is twice as big, yet the 2671 would fit in the mainspring barrel of the 6497.

You need a lot of practice before attacking one of these. Best to start with the 6497, move onto the 2836, and after a lot of practice, tackle the 2671.

RG

Hi Ziggy,

Thanks for the advice mate...

A great place to start....I'm off to find a 6497....Been enjoying your reviews and tutes, by the way...

Best,

G

I agree. Starting on the 2671 would discourage anyone from watchmaking. Although most of the stuff is similar to the larger 2836, the problem area's are a balance kock that is 180 degrees from any other watch, and a bit of a challenge to re-assemble, and by far the most difficult part to install, is the click spring for the mainspring. Once you take one apart, you'll appreciate the challenge...

Glad your getting some use from the reviews, any questions along the learning road, just ask :)

RG

Brilliant - appreciate the advice.

I'm sure I'll be coming back to you.......a lot! :p

Great to be talking to someone who know's what they're talking about!

Local watch makers are undertandably, a little wary of giving any advice.

They get my business on precious items, but won't advise on projects....bit of a shame really.

Again, Thanks...for the advice and the tutes.