When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

YG Daydate weight...how heavy vs. gen?

Desuetude

So...I want to do something that I normally wouldn't condone doing...I want to play a joke on a friend by convincing him that a YG daydate is a gen. That said, my friend does have a DJ, and does know a decent amount about rolexes in general...that said, he wouldn't be able to pick out 90% of the flaws and differences between the reps and gens that people here can. What he can pick out are things like sharp edges and generally rough finishing (links that don't move smoothly, etc) and the big thing about anything gold or PT....weight. I think that even if the thing had razor blades on the sides of each link, if it weighed alot, he'd be convinced. I am looking at a Silix DD, does anyone have any experience with his or any other YG DDs for that matter, and have any means of comparing the weight of a rep to a gen? Any help is greatly appreciated...this friend badly deserves a prank, and I don't want the joke to backfire on me :p

I don't understand how this is at all humorous or even remotely funny. It sounds to me like you want to scam someone into buying a fake watch.

I have owned several gen day dates and several fakes. I have even owned a fake solid gold day date. None of them come close to the weight of the genuine solid gold Rolex. Especially since the new models are even heavier. I think they added something like 30% more gold since 2003.

If you truly want to fool your friend into thinking you can sudenly afford a genuine watch, stay away from Rolex. Rolex is the most commonly replicated brand and at the same time the only brand without any super duper ultimate version that is remotely 1:1.

I apologize for not making the complete and utter disgust that I have for watch scammers completely transparent. I should also mention that I am never one to try and fool people into thinking a rep is a gen. That said, I have never been questioned by anyone about the authenticity of any watches that I might own or wear, which probably has something to do with the nature of the Gens that I own. My motivation here was nothing more than playing a prank on a deserving close friend who pulled a formidable stunt on me last weekend. Without going into nitty gritty details, my intent was neither to scam him into buying, or believing that I own a genuine DD. Affording a gen is not a problem, however, I am not going to purchase a genuine DD for the ridiculous purpose of pranking a friend. Not to mention the fact that I wouldn't be the "owner" in this prank.

That said, thanks for confirming my strong suspicion that the weight of a rep DD wouldn't be anywhere close to a gen. I haven't handled a rep or a gen, so I do not know how heavy one is in comparison to the other, or how much gold the gen actually contains (and subsequently, how much it weighs). Although this prank would have been quite amusing, without the piece being remotely believable to an above-average (knowledge) rolex owner, it will fall apart and backfire. Oh well...the brainstorm shall continue! Thanks for the help!

I don't understand how this is at all humorous or even remotely funny. It sounds to me like you want to scam someone into buying a fake watch.

I have owned several gen day dates and several fakes. I have even owned a fake solid gold day date. None of them come close to the weight of the genuine solid gold Rolex. Especially since the new models are even heavier. I think they added something like 30% more gold since 2003.

If you truly want to fool your friend into thinking you can sudenly afford a genuine watch, stay away from Rolex. Rolex is the most commonly replicated brand and at the same time the only brand without any super duper ultimate version that is remotely 1:1.

• 2 weeks later...

See, that's the problem. No offense to DD fans, but I am not a fan of the DD. Even if I had limitless funds, 5k for a foolish prank just wouldn't happen. Thanks for the tip though!

*EDIT* Yes, Jfreeman, I've definitely seen YG DDs from the '80s and early '90s going for 5-7k, despite the skyrocketing price of Gold.