When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Slight flaw on Omega rep dial

Moffey

Hi all, originally posted this in the Omega section, but in hindsight its far more relevant here. Any help welcome.....

Hi all. After a bit of advice really. I recently purchased a 50th Anniversary Moon watch from PT, its a lovely piece and so I was all the more disheartend when one of my friends pointed out that one of the markers is slightly smudged. I understand that i must be prepared for slight flaws on any rep, however i feel that this has now reduced my enjoyment of the rep. having contacted PT he recommended that I could purchase a new face/dial and have a watch smith relace the original. So my question is this, does any know of a reliable and trustworthy watch smith in the UK capable of doing this (...and at a reasonable price!) whom I can mail the watch to for the work to be done? Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Cheers!

If a genuine dial fits your movement, then replacing the dial is a very easy task that any watchsmith can do.

Provided he is willing to work on reps, naturally.

Unfortunately it is just a "like for like" replica dial that I shall be replacing it with. As i have trouble getting out and about, and with no one I would want to bother to sort it for me, sending it to a forum member who comes well recommended is my option of choice. enough to do this

Hi all, originally posted this in the Omega section, but in hindsight its far more relevant here. Any help welcome.....

Hi all. After a bit of advice really. I recently purchased a 50th Anniversary Moon watch from PT, its a lovely piece and so I was all the more disheartend when one of my friends pointed out that one of the markers is slightly smudged. I understand that i must be prepared for slight flaws on any rep, however i feel that this has now reduced my enjoyment of the rep. having contacted PT he recommended that I could purchase a new face/dial and have a watch smith relace the original. So my question is this, does any know of a reliable and trustworthy watch smith in the UK capable of doing this (...and at a reasonable price!) whom I can mail the watch to for the work to be done? Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Cheers!

A smudge on the dial that can be seen with the naked eye is an unacceptable flaw. So called- Perfect Time should have offered to replace it for another. Send another email and demand a replacement.

--Doc

I did suggest this to him but as I had (eagerly) already removed the plastics (...doh!) he declined to accept it back. He did however suggest that he could send me a replacement dial which I accepted. The problem I have is finding someone reputable to replace the face for me.

Not good enough really! Taking the plastic off a watch should not invalidate whatever 'guarantee' you have, I use the word loosely!

The dealer in question should replace this watch, no question. This is sub standard service from a dealer that has a lot of business put his way by means of this forum. It would be a folly if he didn't replace.

So don't go to all the trouble of rectifying his problem....send it back, get a replacement minus flaws or demand a refund and spend it with a dealer that never asks customers to overcome problems that shouldn't exist.

(Still trying to figure out how removing the plastic couls possibly have anything to do with a flaw on the dial)

Not good enough really! Taking the plastic off a watch should not invalidate whatever 'guarantee' you have, I use the word loosely!

The dealer in question should replace this watch, no question. This is sub standard service from a dealer that has a lot of business put his way by means of this forum. It would be a folly if he didn't replace.

So don't go to all the trouble of rectifying his problem....send it back, get a replacement minus flaws or demand a refund and spend it with a dealer that never asks customers to overcome problems that shouldn't exist.

(Still trying to figure out how removing the plastic couls possibly have anything to do with a flaw on the dial)

Actually, I could see it from the dealer's perspective.

In this business, you can't expect to send anything back to the supplier and receive some type of credit for it. So if you, the buyer, send him back the watch and he ships you a replacement, he has to eat the cost of the watch.

When you remove the plastic from the watch, you remove any indication that you haven't modified the watch in any way. If you removed the plastic and opened and closed the caseback very meticulously, how would I know that the flaw in question wasn't caused by you?

If anything, good customer service would be that the dealer would have the dial replaced and installed for you, free of charge.