When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

uPO survives pool, steam room etc...

baltic

...I've been waiting for my silicon strap for my uPO for a while as I wanted to use it in the gym, cycling etc. Once it arrived I put it on using the spring bars that were already there for the bracelet and so far no 'pop offs' :lol:

Anyhoo I went to the gym and thought 'sod it' lets see if this survives the pool.

At this point I want to point out that although the watch was serviced the watchsmith gave no guarantees regarding any water resistance so this was entirely my risk...

So into the pool for 10 lengths (swimming not my strong point!) OK so far...

A quick dip in the jacuzzi, OK so far...

Right now the make or break moment the steam room... absolutely no problems :lol:

Not a bit of fogging under the crystal at all after all that, phew!

Disclaimer:

'I take no responsibility if your watch goes Pete Tong trying to replicate this :p '

Looks like I got a good 'un :D

...I've been waiting for my silicon strap for my uPO for a while as I wanted to use it in the gym, cycling etc. Once it arrived I put it on using the spring bars that were already there for the bracelet and so far no 'pop offs' :lol:

Anyhoo I went to the gym and thought 'sod it' lets see if this survives the pool.

At this point I want to point out that although the watch was serviced the watchsmith gave no guarantees regarding any water resistance so this was entirely my risk...

So into the pool for 10 lengths (swimming not my strong point!) OK so far...

A quick dip in the jacuzzi, OK so far...

Right now the make or break moment the steam room... absolutely no problems :lol:

Not a bit of fogging under the crystal at all after all that, phew!

Disclaimer:

'I take no responsibility if your watch goes Pete Tong trying to replicate this :p '

Looks like I got a good 'un :D

Fair play to you ! It takes balls and the understanding that if it does go "Pete Tong", you've just blown $150 - $300 (or whatever you paid for it). I guess the safest bet is to try it on a relatively inexpensive watch, such as one with a non ETA Asian movement. My worry is that, if I tried it and I got a bit of steam under the crystal, would this cause all the parts inside to rust and sieze up, even if the "misting" dried up and disappeared? :g:

My worry is that, if I tried it and I got a bit of steam under the crystal, would this cause all the parts inside to rust and sieze up, even if the "misting" dried up and disappeared? :g:

My understanding is that you'd need either a service or a new mvmt depending on the amount of water, although I no expert. I'm normally fairly 'risk averse' in life but this time I thought what the hell, in for a penny...

Sorry forgot to say nice collection Fred.

About 20 years ago, when I was 13 and had no clue about such things, I went windsurfing with my first 'proper' watch, a 21j Citizen. It said 'water resistant' on the back so I assumed it was ok. Anyway, the thing got totally ruined with water and started running about an hour fast every 5 mins. Distraught, I took it to an old watchmaker called Noel who used to be based in Shepherd's Bush market who took the watch casing off, blasted it with air, took out the mainspring, put into into a clear liquid (I assume it was lubricant), reinstalled it, adjusted it and it has been working fine ever since. The point to all this is that water damage to a mechanical movement is seldom terminal. The worst that can happen is that you need a complete servicing of the movement.