When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DIY realistic font colors?

ork

Been looking for a 111H for a week or so. I'm ordering one anyway, but I have to say out of all the 'flaws' that are out there on the current models (cannon pin, CG, etc..) the one that seems to bother me a bit is the font color being white and not the off-white/beige color on the gen :yucky: . This seems to be evident in just about all dealers' products. I know there are a couple of modders that have a fix, but I'm wondering if its silly to send it off just for this issue if it's something maybe I can get done myself.... So.....

any possibilty of a complete noob buying a few tools and taking the dial off, applying some of the fixes (coffee, iodine... smoke... religious incantations, etc..) and putting everything back together again? Should I take the TZ watch school first? My motivation is not neccesarily just saving $$, though for me it doesn't make much sense sinking $400-500 on a rep when I might fetch a real one for $3,500 if i'm patient. On the plus side I will most certainly learn a lot more about this hobby (watchmaking I mean, not reps).

suggestions? :g:

here's a post from flav where he describes his technique:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...=smoke&st=0

Edited by xm1994

Removing the dial is not difficult, you just need to have a case opener (rubber gloves might even fit the need), some screwdrivers, a pin, plastic sheet, cutters, and a hand removing tool.

But if you use the smoke method then you won't even need to remove the dial from the movement -- just remove the movement+dial from the case and protect the movement somehow. In this case the plastic sheet, cutters, and hand removing tool are unnecessary.