When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A possible dial font fix for Panerai - Modding advice needed

PAMman

I have been trying to come up with a solution to one of the most annoying Panerai issues, at least it's the one that annoys me the most.

I am particularly interested in the closed caseback handwind models i.e. the 001 and 002. These are the easiest to get modded to almost 99% accuracy but are let down by the wrong font that is evident in the too low crossbar in the capital A's of MARINA & PANERAI. The 002 has only PANERAI so it has a lesser problem. If this issue could be dealt with then an almost perfect rep could be created.

SOLUTION: A dry transfer similar to 'Letraset' which was common in every drawing office in the pre PC / CAD era could be applied as a small sliver of black to eradicate the incorrect crossbars and then a similar white dry transfer to create the new, correct one. This material is so thin that the small amount of black would not be detectable within the outline of the A and the new white crossbar should be similar to the painted font. I would suggest that, if any trace is visible under a loupe then varnising the whole dial would get rid of any traces. My thoughts are that this material would be easier to handle than attempting the same thing with paint. If this would work successfully then maybe the L SWISS L could be similarly modified to T SWISS T. Just add a vintage lume to recreate the desirable 001, 002, 004 or 009 'T' dial PAMs.

Any thoughts or comments???? Any advice on better material? I know that Letraset is not available in sizes small enough for what I have in mind but, from memory, the bottom margin of each sheet has a 'blurb' relating to copyright or patent rights that is written in very small print which may be fine enough to suit. However it is easy to lift a small section off the sheet with a scalpel after it has been rubbed when not in contact with artwork.

Edited by TwoTone

I have no idea if what you are suggesting would work. Given the amount of trouble that you are about to go through with this plan - I would imagine that the following might actually be easier.

If dials are made the way that I think that they are made - what is required is actually a very good Photoshop file of the correct dial that you want to make. If you could indeed create such a file, then I would give it to Davidsen or some of the other dealers and ask they they have their manufacturer make it. You could even take preorders from the forum here if you were willing to take on such a project to ensure that there is enough volume to actually ensure that it would make financial sense.

I for one - would go for such a dial in a heartbeat since every PAM save perhaps the new 089 has this problem. I think that the manufacturers simple are too lazy to actually fix this problem when what they make now sells just fine. One really has to identify the font that Panerai uses though. Many have stated they found it - by overlaying their image on the panerai logo - but i actually think that is is different on the dial.

Best of luck.

I have seriuosly thought about getting a correct dial made. I understand that they are printed from a vector file which could be copied off a good scan but I have no faith in getting any of the manufacturers to actually print it properly. Davidsen's dials are even more incorrect that the regular reps so I doubt if he would help much.

Here is the way that I see it - if you (or someone else) were willing to do all of the work in getting the right file created for a 111 ,etc and were to give it to Davidsen or Joshua for free - they would make it. It is the expertise in making the vector file for the litho that is the problem is my guess.