When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just dissasembled a watch!

ahchard

I did this a few days ago but only had time to take photos now.

The watch is a cheap HBB copy with faux chrono's. Thought I would do it as a learning exercise so I will know how to dissasemble a watch in the future if I am brave enough to do any modding or even just to remove the crystal for AR coating.

Picture of dissasembled watch:

img6676zs7.jpg

One question though, I don't know how to remove the rotor from the movement. How can I do this?

The next watch I will dissasemble will probably be the fantasy Pam 8 days rep with the three barrel copy...

now I need a hand removal tool and movement holder so I can practice removing the hands.

The rotor can be held in by a screw in the centre or sometimes by a spring clip, don't know what the movement is....you should have removed the rotor when the movement was still in the case, much easier to do it then!

Get yourself some watch paper along with the hand puller, use the paper to keep your fingers off the movement and the dial. Don't touch that dial!

Edited by NRG

The rotor can be held in by a screw in the centre or sometimes by a spring clip, don't know what the movement is....you should have removed the rotor when the movement was still in the case, much easier to do it then!

Get yourself some watch paper along with the hand puller, use the paper to keep your fingers off the movement and the dial. Don't touch that dial!

This is a cheap street rep so I am not worried about touching the dial or movement, just using it as practice in case I need to open my other watches up in the future to remove the crystal or change datewheels, etc...

Will start hunting for a hand puller and watch paper... is baking paper good enough? its grease proof... isn't it?

Great to see you doing it yourself.

As stated above, the Rotor should have a screw holding it to the movement.

RG

Yes, I think I tried turning the screw ( I think its the one in the middle of the watch which the rotor spins around ), but it is an odd size... really thin and narrow gap ad shallow... could not really fit any of my screwdrivers in. Will need to get a full set of tools I guess before I go any further.

I agree on the tooling, you have to especially have really good quality jewellers screwdrivers, not the ones sold in department stores.

The Bubble back I just finished is an example of a movement that requires really sharp tools, otherwise no go on getting anything apart.

Watch paper is a few dollars for 1000 sheets, that is your best option, get it when you get a hand puller and screwdrivers.

Good luck in your future projects.

RG