When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Navitimer Broke!

anton

Well, after three days of ownership, my Navitimer World broke after myself attempting a mod fix by tighetening the inner bezel screws to create more "friction" when rotating it.

Stupid me; I didn't read the instructions telling me to remove the movement first. I must have messed up something in it due to the shock it received by me reaffixing the bezel by banging it atop a dresser.

But anyway, I succeeded in needed friction. But the movement died! Since I had a spare A7750 laying around, I decided to do a switch. I initially assumed that if the GMT mod was anything like the 2836-2 mod, it would be an easy switch. But alas, it wasn't. It made do with a "module" that made the GMT hand function like one on the 2893-3; that moves in increments of one-hour.

Since the top plates of the dead GMT movement and the donor were different, I didn't want to risk wasting two movements. So I decided to do away with the GMT and have myself a standard navitimer with useless 24 hour markers.

But as I put the hands back together, I bent the "B" chrono seconds hand and now that was useless.

I ended up putting it all back together, and this was it three days ago when I just received it:

DSC00326.jpg

And three days later, replacing the dead movement with a new one:

DSC00349.jpg

In case if you noticed, some of you might think that I completely botched up by putting hands that don't belong on the watch. But I like it. I've put black dedicated black hands for the chronograph functions, and I "solved" the recessed datewheel issue that is present on this rep.

I guess now it's more flawed than the gen, but it couldn't be worse, right?