When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pam 063.... AR or Not

davethecat

A year ago, I purchased a better mag cyclops for my 063. I'm just now getting around to having it installed. I also happen to have a DSN AR coated crystal that I purchased for another project.

My 063 isnt AR coated..... do you guys know if the gen has AR or not? I'm wondering out loud if I should put the new cyclops on the DSN AR crystal .....

thoughts?

A year ago, I purchased a better mag cyclops for my 063. I'm just now getting around to having it installed. I also happen to have a DSN AR coated crystal that I purchased for another project.

My 063 isnt AR coated..... do you guys know if the gen has AR or not? I'm wondering out loud if I should put the new cyclops on the DSN AR crystal .....

thoughts?

The Gen 063 does not have A/R coating.

The normal rule with Panerai is that the Tritium dialled watches did not have any AR but the later watches do. With the handwind watches this means that the preA and A series don't while B series onwards do. As the 063 is C series I would expect that it has AR and the multiple surfaces of the crystal and cyclops make AR more necessary. However the tint of the coating varies and some are colourless. For example my gen G series has a totally colourless coating. It is not visible in any way but it's totally effective.

On a practical note, will the cement for the cyclops not damage the AR and mess up your DSN crystal?

Edited by PAMman

I have often wondered about this question. The gen 063 does not have AR. However, i have had boths of the cyclops from the board installed, and all have significant reflections in the cyclops.

I can not remember who posted it - but the best solution is to get one sided AR (on the inside) and that signifcantly reduces the reflections. Also, it is not likely to be as noticable as a heavy top AR.

Also - from what I understnad, you have to remove the AR on any existing crystal before you put on the new cyclops. Also - these can not get double sided AR anyway - due to the UV cement