When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How can I make the crown sit closer to the case on my PAM?

justaguy88

I was wondering if anyone had some info on how to modify my crown to get it to sit closer to the case. Most gens have the crown just a couple mm away from the side of the case and I'd like to mimic this. If I remove the crown and stem and sand down the stem will this work? How much can I bring in the crown before I have problems with the lever no longer functioning properly? sorry fi these are stupid questions. Thanks!

Your normal rep crown is slightly less than 2mm thick to start with so I assume that the gap between it and the case is significantly less, although bigger than it ought to be. If you adjust the length of the stem, as you suggest, that should be enough to allow the crown to close closer to the case, unless it is a protruding case tube that's causing the problem. If you remove the movement and put the crown and stem into the empty case it should be obvious where the problem lies. However if you can get this adjusted so the the crown is visibly closer to the case then the lever will be hopelessly too short. You will definitely need a new CG or at least a new lever for your existing CG.