When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen 7750 replacing Asian

A few questions for the group.

1. Various reps come with the Asian 7750 - some with date only, some with day/date - Do both types use exactly the same 7750 movement, just with no day wheel installed when not appropriate ?

2. Is a gen Valjoux 7750 ALWAYS a direct swap with ANY rep using an Asian 7750 ? (maybe specifically the Tag Carrera, Tag Aquaracer Day/Date, BCE, Navitime 6,9,12 layout etc ...) - I am presuming that in reps like the navitimer 3,6,9 the date wheel hole in the dial is just positioned at the 4 o'clock but the movement cannot be swapped as it is a 'modified 7750' with 'secs at 3'.

3. Assuming 2. to be a YES, then would the hands and dial mounting be simple or could there be issues ? (fuzzy question I know)

This question is sort of covering a couple of topics for me as I would consider changing Asian 7750's over to Valjoux 7750's for reliabilty/quality but also as I am having a problem finding a watchsmith in my area willing to deal with reps for servicing etc ... so would be thinking of getting a watchsmith to just service a bare movement, (either Valjoux or Asian), and getting the movement in and out of the rep myself.

(Again movement type may depend on finding a watchsmith willing to service a bare Asian 7750 movement - I assume none would have a problem with a bare Valjoux 7750).

Thoughts ?

Ham 'n' Pickle.

A 7750 is a 7750, as long as it's a 12-9-6 true 7750 subdial layout, everything dimensionally is the same.

Differences are:

Old 21.6k A7750's have the same hand size as the ETA 7750, swapping is direct and straight forward.

New 28.8K A7750's have different subdial and chrono seconds hand sizes, and need to be modified to fit the ETA.

RG

Thanks for the info The Zigmeister, (and Kruzer),

I maybe just need to get a cheap-as-possible rep with an Asian 7750 to have a play with the case/dial/hands.

My final option for servicing would be to pay for a holiday for The Zigmeister - I would imagine a group of us could get together and get you a couple of weeks a year in the UK The Zigmeister - it may be quite a busy 'holiday' though (and getting your watch repair equipment through customs could be an issue) !!!

Cheers, Ham 'n' Pickle.

Thanks for the info Ziggy, (and Kruzer),

I maybe just need to get a cheap-as-possible rep with an Asian 7750 to have a play with the case/dial/hands.

My final option for servicing would be to pay for a holiday for Ziggy - I would imagine a group of us could get together and get you a couple of weeks a year in the UK Ziggy - it may be quite a busy 'holiday' though (and getting your watch repair equipment through customs could be an issue) !!!

Cheers, Ham 'n' Pickle.

I have been, and continue to help, many members from the UK and the EU. Shipping watches has never been a customs issue, either coming or going...

If your going to remove the movement and have it serviced stand alone, beware of the big problem in installing a 7750, is that while handing it, you will move the beat arm and the movement will be out of adjustment. I have never been able to service a 7750, make all the adjustments, and then install it in the case, without affecting the beat and needing to re-adjust it when it's all cased up.

The beat stud arm always gets bumped a little bit, and then it needs to be re-adjusted or the movement wont' run right.

Which is why it's better to send a whole watch, not only a movement.

I had someone in the EU send me a dial/movement assembly only, no case. Did the work that was requested, adjusted the movement, but when the owner installed the movement into the case, he had running problems because the beat arm had moved.

RG

OK The Zigmeister,

more great advice - I will continue to pursue a 'friendly' watchsmith. Admittedly I don't think I am in dire need yet, (just got a Tag Carrera and likely to get a Navitimer soon), but I can see the benefits of servicing, (depending on costs of course), even for reps. I certainly see these watches as long term enjoyment rather than disposable playthings.

Cheers again.

Ham 'n' Pickle.

Ham 'n'pickle

I'm also in the UK and trying to find a rep friendly watchsmith is a pain. If you do find the holy grail, please let me know and i'll do likewise.

The Zigmeister, just PM'd you about a service but then saw your "dont ask until Dec" note, sorry...... :bangin:

Paul