When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Visited an AD while in Newport RI for the weekend

section8

Wife and I headed to Newport RI for the weekend to celebrate our 10th anniversary, while we were there we came across Grenon's where I met the owner who is a die-hard watch guy. he has some jewelry but the store probably 75% watches. We chatted for about 45 minutes about watches and cars and he showed me a some pretty cool stuff, one being an Azimuth Spaceship watch

AzimuthSpaceship-thumb.jpg

Built on a 6497 Unitas watching it move was quite interesting. Not something I'd wear but still very cool, and only about $4500.

He had some U-Boats in stock, had to try one on - they are MASSIVE. He told me that the 55mm watches FLY off the shelves, and to all shapes and sizes of buyer. Strange.

He didn't carry any Rolex at all, but said he could get it - which I had no problem with at all not being a huge Rolex fan.

Anyway, if any of you are in the New England area and looking for your next genuine or just want to stop in and have a look around, I highly recommend the place, the guy had top notch service, knew his watches, and couldn't have cared less that I didn't buy anything - he seemed genuinely happy to just sit and talk watches with me.

www.grenons.com

I got my Navitimer World, my girlfriend's Tank Francaise, and my mother's TT Cartier Ballon Bleu from Ray. I've known him for about a year, but friends of mine have known him when he was still at Alpha Omega. You will be hard pressed to find a nicer, more knowledgeable individual, he knows the industry unlike anyone else I've ever met. Dealing with him is always an absolute pleasure, and he always brings out the real candy for the true enthusiasts (I saw the two uber-bling OE Breitling for Bentleys, and a Parmigiani Toric minute repeater w/GMT the last time i was there), and will spend any amount of time talking about watches, cars, or life in general. Not to mention the fact that his discounts truly cannot be beat. After my year end bonus comes in, I will be getting my Glashutte Sport Evo big date from him. Whether or not he is an AD for the given brand, Ray is always the first guy I call if I ever have a watch related question, and is always worth paying a visit to.

My friends and I used to rent a house down there every summer. AAHHHHH....those were the days. Leave work early on Friday, meet up with your buddies at the Atlantic Beach Club for a few cocktails and start the weekend off, right. I miss those days.

Glad you had a great time there.

I got my Navitimer World, my girlfriend's Tank Francaise, and my mother's TT Cartier Ballon Bleu from Ray. I've known him for about a year, but friends of mine have known him when he was still at Alpha Omega. You will be hard pressed to find a nicer, more knowledgeable individual, he knows the industry unlike anyone else I've ever met. Dealing with him is always an absolute pleasure, and he always brings out the real candy for the true enthusiasts (I saw the two uber-bling OE Breitling for Bentleys, and a Parmigiani Toric minute repeater w/GMT the last time i was there), and will spend any amount of time talking about watches, cars, or life in general. Not to mention the fact that his discounts truly cannot be beat. After my year end bonus comes in, I will be getting my Glashutte Sport Evo big date from him. Whether or not he is an AD for the given brand, Ray is always the first guy I call if I ever have a watch related question, and is always worth paying a visit to.

yeah, I definately will be calling him when i'm ready for my next gen purchase, i don't care that he's in RI and I'm in VA. I also hope to get up there sometime for some of the car events he mentioned doing.

My friends and I used to rent a house down there every summer. AAHHHHH....those were the days. Leave work early on Friday, meet up with your buddies at the Atlantic Beach Club for a few cocktails and start the weekend off, right. I miss those days.

Glad you had a great time there.

yeah, this was the 2nd time we'd been there and we love the place. Funny you mentioned renting a house there int he summer, we're actually thinking of looking into buying a house up there and renting it out most of the year and using it as a vacation house.

yeah, this was the 2nd time we'd been there and we love the place. Funny you mentioned renting a house there int he summer, we're actually thinking of looking into buying a house up there and renting it out most of the year and using it as a vacation house.

I have two friends that own a place there that do the same exact thing. Summertime they rent it out to vacationers and winter they rent it to Salve Regina University students. I actually think they are looking to cash out and sell. Let me know and I will check it out for you and give them a call.

yeah, I definately will be calling him when i'm ready for my next gen purchase, i don't care that he's in RI and I'm in VA. I also hope to get up there sometime for some of the car events he mentioned doing.

It's better that he's in RI and that you're in VA, no taxes! I'm hoping to make it up to the car event this year as well, my M6 will be done by then, I'll have the Z8 in tow as well, and it'll be a grand time!

I have two friends that own a place there that do the same exact thing. Summertime they rent it out to vacationers and winter they rent it to Salve Regina University students. I actually think they are looking to cash out and sell. Let me know and I will check it out for you and give them a call.

Wow, talk about coincidence. I'm not sure what our timeframe is right now, just kind of throwing the idea around but i'll shoot you a PM if we decide to do it sooner rather than later. :)

It's better that he's in RI and that you're in VA, no taxes! I'm hoping to make it up to the car event this year as well, my M6 will be done by then, I'll have the Z8 in tow as well, and it'll be a grand time!

Yeah, i'd like to get up there for a car event, not sure if I'm gonna tow my car up there for it though and it's not quite street legal (or comfy for long trips) so I couldn't drive it up.

Wow, talk about coincidence. I'm not sure what our timeframe is right now, just kind of throwing the idea around but i'll shoot you a PM if we decide to do it sooner rather than later. :)

Yeah, i'd like to get up there for a car event, not sure if I'm gonna tow my car up there for it though and it's not quite street legal (or comfy for long trips) so I couldn't drive it up.

Whatcha got? B)