When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Should I trust a watchmaker that doesn't know the #6497

894tom

post-8666-1194550808_thumb.jpgI took my Luminor Base to a local watch shop after I goofed it up. Yup, got my hands into something I shouldn't have. I noticed a screw very loose on the bridge next to the two main winding gears. I was a couple of threads from falling out. I figured hey, I have a spanner wrench and an eyeglass screwdriver, I can do this. So off came the back, in went the loose screw, then my eyes when to the regulator arms....hmmmm. Maybe I can adjust the timing. (The watch is -8 seconds a day) Opps....that nifty hairspring spring really is easy to pop out. LOL. Anyway, I called the watch shop and asked if they work on a 6497 movement. The watch repair man asked me what that was. Uh oh. Not a good feeling. I explained to him what I did and he told me to bring it in. He looked at it and told me the hairspring should be cemented into the slot on the little slotted screw on the regulator arm and the spring needed to be cemented back in because I knocked it out. Should I trust him due to the fact he never heard of a 6497 movment before?

He looked at it and told me the hairspring should be cemented into the slot on the little slotted screw on the regulator arm

That is your answer.

The sloted screw the hairspring passes THROUGH is the regulator. Cementing it to the spring, will not allow regulating of the watch...

Should I trust him due to the fact he never heard of a 6497 movment before?

You already know the answer to this one. A 6497 is very common and should be known to any watchmaker.

If you went to a mechanic and asked if he knew anything about a V-8 engine, and he said "What's a V-8" what would you do?

RG

The sloted screw the hairspring passes THROUGH is the regulator. Cementing it to the spring, will not allow regulating of the watch...

I know sounds like common sense, but I knew I was in over my head so I took it to the only local watchmaker I know. Maybe I misunderstood him. Is the spring cemented to the other arm?