When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine Question...opinions on d. freemont watches

crystalcranium

Saw them profiled in WT and have seen their ads for years. My wife wants to get me a watch in the $700 price range for Christmas and I am looking for something outside the Hamilton/Tissot/Oris box at this price point. they have a 10 micron plated gold watch called the Pureal that has a pocket watch on a strap look like the FA Jones and some of the RGM pieces.

http://www.dfreemontwatches.com/pureal.htm

pur1gp9.jpg

Opinions?

I like the watch and 10 micron gold plate is going to last many years. However, the ad state that plating is superior to rolled gold which I believe to be inaccurate. The old rolled gold watch cases usually had a thickness of gold from 20 to 40 microns and there was no discernible difference between the rounded parts of the case and the flat parts. I think that the ad that d.Freemont has written has used some creative license in describing the gold.

After all that I am thinking I might get one myself.

Well I don't like them at all. I even voted the

Ancyent Mariner the ugliest watch on another forum.

Maybe it's their print ad's, as in pictures all the d.freemont watches I have seen look poorly made and cost too much.

If you get one let me know if it turns out to be a quality watch.

I agree that the other <$1000 watches in their collection are a little weird in design and not my cup of tea but this one had my wife exclaiming "That's gorgeous!" so...

Each watch is regulated prior to shipping with a regulation print out and certificate, wooden box, 2 additional straps in caramel brown and black with a deployant clasp all for $655.

I ordered one for myself for Christmas! I wont be able to open it till Xmas so I'll report then. This was a LE run with only 100 pieces in the riginal run and I got # 92.

I like the watch and 10 micron gold plate is going to last many years. However, the ad state that plating is superior to rolled gold which I believe to be inaccurate. The old rolled gold watch cases usually had a thickness of gold from 20 to 40 microns and there was no discernible difference between the rounded parts of the case and the flat parts. I think that the ad that d.Freemont has written has used some creative license in describing the gold.

After all that I am thinking I might get one myself.

Yeah I agree. I hope his lack of knowlege of a "gold fill" which is electroplating over 10K bonded gold over brass doesn't translate to a comprable lack of knowlege of the plating process. 10 microns is pretty hefty...probably a 10-15 year plating in daily use and with the way I rotate watches...this will be a grandchild hand me down.

• 1 month later...
Well I don't like them at all. I even voted the

Ancyent Mariner the ugliest watch on another forum.

Maybe it's their print ad's, as in pictures all the d.freemont watches I have seen look poorly made and cost too much.

If you get one let me know if it turns out to be a quality watch.

Got the watch and it's beautiful, well proportioned, thick cased and on a beautiful aged deployant strap. Gained 4 seconds day one on the wrist. I agree, the rest of his stuff looks a bit weird especially the AM, which is promenently advertised in IW this month, is butt ugly but the Pureal is a beautiful watch.