When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

First Mod Attempt-Crown on PAM 177H

NotASolder

This would be my first Mod attempt, please post any comments you feel could help me... or dissuade me.

The situation:

Very happy with my 'starter' PAM. A Ti 177H. Crown does not go all the way in. Actually it sits almost exactly halfway between the case and Crown Guard. It will not move in, even with strong direct hand pressure. It looks like a lot of starter Ti PAMs I've seen.

My Plan:

Take out Crown and I believe I'll find that either:

I can screw the crown further down into the stem= problem fixed.

or

I can grind (cut?) the stem's threaded end down so that once screwed back in, the crown sits closer to the case= problem fixed.

*I did already get a replacement Crown Guard/lever set as the factory guys had achieved a nice tight locking lever on mine by grinding the lever down enough for it to close. So a new one is at hand to cover the additonal space a closer fitting crown would leave.

What am I missing? Can it be that easy? I already opened the back only to find I did not have the correct screwdriver to loosen the stem-release screw. I want to take advantage of this time to get input from you.

Any help is welcomed!

Guest watchbuff

Usually the stem is at the bottom of the crown and will problably need to be filed down to get closer to the case. Then you run the risk of the CG lever not making contact with the crown and then....you're fuct. More "fabrication " and milling may ne nessecary then. Is it worth it? Wear it a while, if you can live with it great. It's a NEVER ending uphill battel to get "closer" to gen looks.

As has already been stated, if you manage to get the crown seated closer to the case the lever will no longer be tight so you will need to either, file down the legs of the crownguard to get it closer to the crown, or, get a new crown guard. It may not only be the stem which is causing the crown to sit out too far as it may be that the crown is seated against the crown tube which protrudes too far out of the case. This would need the tube to be either pushed further into the case or filed down.

In order to see whether it's the length of the stem or the tube which is the culprit you should remove the movement from the case and refit the crown / stem unit into the case before you adjust anything. There is a risk of making the overall fit of these parts worse rather than better unless you approach this problem from the correct perspective.

A Palp crown may be the best approach because it requires a longer stem than normal and it is thicker, so even when positioned closer to the case your existing lever will still likely be too long rather than too short and if your stem is longer than normal that's an added bonus.

I should have made clear in my OP that I DID get a replacement CG with Lever. The original Lever was GROUND DOWN to achieve a fit, if not it would not close, just as the new, unmodded CG + LEVER I now have does not close.

So moving the crown closer (my desired end) would aloow me to use the New unmodded CG with lever.

Now, could you guys help me out with your other comments.

Can't I just take the stem from the crown and test fit the case/crown combo with CG/Lever to make sure the 'culprit' is a too long stem?

Hello

Please look at pictures of the gen as the crown does not necessarily sit flush to the case. They are proud. As previous stated, if you mod the stem then you may have to mod the lever pin in order to keep that tight.

Cheers

T

Thanks for the input. I have seen plenty of Gens on Paneristi with non-flush crowns.

Still, mine has exactly as much space between the case/crown as between the crown/CG, I think its a little much. The factory had to ground plenty off the lever for it to close.

It barely sits ove the case tube so there's no way I would ever get ANY water resistance this way IMHO.

:)

Can't I just take the stem from the crown and test fit the case/crown combo with CG/Lever to make sure the 'culprit' is a too long stem?

Undoubtly.