When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Link Removal PO Chrono

cd56

If the bracelet is the same as my UPO it will have pins which you'll need a pin removal tool to get out. You can pick the tool up cheaply on ebay. Even when you have pushed them out it is still a struggle with pliers to pull the pin all the way out. Then use a small hammer to put the pins back in. When you pull the pins out make sure the little jacket in the middle link is still in place, if you fit the pin without it it will just fall out. There should be arrows on the bracelet to show you which way to push out the pins.

I had my local watch guy remove a few links from my UPO today, he really had to wrestle with the pins and bang the hell out of them with his hammer. I was horrified! No damage done though and watch fits prefectly. He had some special little plastic clamps he used to steady the link as he hammered the pins back in, it is this step that will be most problematic if you dont have the right tools, it isnt easy to hold the tiny link still and hammer on it without damaging the finish. He charged me $10 and Ill never have to do it again.

Having small wrists I've had to take 3 links or so out of every bracelet on every watch I bought. And since I mainly collect omegas, PO included, lets just say. Its very easy. All you need is one of these:

watchpintool.jpg

to get the pin partially ejected, then you can use a pair of needle-nose pliers to pull the pin out the rest of the way.

You can push it back in most of the by hand, but you'll need to use something like a small nylon tipped jewelry hammer to firmly seat the remaining piece of pin. Takes about 5 minutes to size a PO bracelet.

I use a sawn-off dental probe, myself. I got several of them a few years ago at a swap meet. Dirt cheap, but the link removal tool is probably a safer way to go if you're not too 'handy'. A pierced finger or thumb is still not in vogue! :good: