When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA swiss 6497 or not

894tom

I am trying to get a handle on what a genuine ETA 6497-1 should look like. I have read several posts on this topic on another forum I found, but they just seemed like a bunch of people (like me) trying to sound like they know what they are talking about. Ofie has a very poor picture so I couldn't use that one. I figured since The Zigmeister is gone for now so someone has to step up and take a swing at this (hopefully with his attention to accurate articulation of fact). Can someone show me a pic of a real swiss ETA 6497-1. From what I read, there are many ebauches out there and people just put any ole mix and match parts together and call it genunine, Swiss, ETA, Unitas, or whatever. So you may think you have a genuine ETA, but you really don't.

The movement I have appears to be real and was claimed to have been real. It has the ETA stamping under the balance wheel , the words= seventeen 17 jewels and swiss stamped on the bridge.......but the shock protection looks completely differnent that my other two 6497s. The claimed real ETA has the type of shock protection that looks like the clip holding the jewel in place has three sides that hold the jewel down, while my other two Pams have the two reversed paranthesis clip holding the jewel securely in place. Also my claimed real ETA does not have a slot at the base of the dagger (metal disk around the shock protection) whereas the other two Pams have the slot at the base of the dagger that kinda looks like you adjust something with this slot using a flat head screw driver. Lastly as my poor picture may not show well, the regulator arms have a small wieght on them. The wieght on my ETA is dimpled. Are these tell tale signs my ETA movement is not a genuine ETA? post-8666-1197867877_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
I am trying to get a handle on what a genuine ETA 6497-1 should look like. I have read several posts on this topic on another forum I found, but they just seemed like a bunch of people (like me) trying to sound like they know what they are talking about. Ofie has a very poor picture so I couldn't use that one. I figured since The Zigmeister is gone for now so someone has to step up and take a swing at this (hopefully with his attention to accurate articulation of fact). Can someone show me a pic of a real swiss ETA 6497-1. From what I read, there are many ebauches out there and people just put any ole mix and match parts together and call it genunine, Swiss, ETA, Unitas, or whatever. So you may think you have a genuine ETA, but you really don't.

The movement I have appears to be real and was claimed to have been real. It has the ETA stamping under the balance wheel , the words= seventeen 17 jewels and swiss stamped on the bridge.......but the shock protection looks completely differnent that my other two 6497s. The claimed real ETA has the type of shock protection that looks like the clip holding the jewel in place has three sides that hold the jewel down, while my other two Pams have the two reversed paranthesis clip holding the jewel securely in place. Also my claimed real ETA does not have a slot at the base of the dagger (metal disk around the shock protection) whereas the other two Pams have the slot at the base of the dagger that kinda looks like you adjust something with this slot using a flat head screw driver. Lastly as my poor picture may not show well, the regulator arms have a small wieght on them. The wieght on my ETA is dimpled. Are these tell tale signs my ETA movement is not a genuine ETA? post-8666-1197867877_thumb.jpg

The shockabsorber in your picture is called NOVODIAC and the real eta 6497-1 also have them.

Kif shockabsorber sita in the genuine rolex movements !