When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Aspire's Omega Seamaster Gmt

Hello,

I just got my Omega Seamaster GMT from the Aspire Crazy Sale (will post a review with pics soon). It was shipped very quickly and I'm quite happy with it :) EXCEPT for one thing :unsure: . I can set the GMT hand but it doesn't hold time with the rest of the watch :thumbdown: . I'll set it at 12 (for example) and 6 hours later, it is barely past 2 :bangin: . What can be wrong?

TIA

Well, since Paul is turning his business around I am sure if you contact him he will make it right. It is a ETA movement I assume...

yup - ETA movement.

i was hoping someone here would have suggestions without me having to send back the watch. but i'll contact Paul and see what he says.

THanks

This is not uncommon with the 'GMT modified' 2836's and has been reported before here and in the other forums. The movement is NOT a GMT (independantly adjustable 'flick' hour hand) or even a 'pretend' GMT with a calibrated extra 24-hour hand. It is a day-date movement bastardised to approximate the look of a GMT, and nothing more. As a result of this the operation of the 'GMT' hand is unpredictable and many many people have experienced it running out of sync. It seems to be something they have no choice other than to just put up with.

It's been said before and I'll repeat it here - the GMT reps with 2836s are testament to why sometimes choosing an ETA movement as a priority over having a movement that is functionally accurate is a BAD (and I would say ignorant) choice. There are some excellent Asian GMT movements in our reps that function as GMT because that is what they were designed as, yet people poo-poo them and opt instead for this bodge of a movement.

One of the principle real (as opposed to perceived or brand snobbery) benefits of ETA movements over other reliable and well known alternatives (Miyota, Seagull etc) is the availability of replacement parts to aid servicing. This benefit is lost with the 'GMT modified' 2836 as the basic movement is taken away from original spec by the addition of custom parts that are not available outside the rep factories. The Zigmeister posted this fact in a reply to a previous thread on this same subject.

Edited by r11co

This is not uncommon with the 'GMT modified' 2836's and has been reported before here and in the other forums. The movement is NOT a GMT (independantly adjustable 'flick' hour hand) or even a 'pretend' GMT with a calibrated extra 24-hour hand. It is a day-date movement bastardised to approximate the look of a GMT, and nothing more.

It's been said before and I'll repeat it here - the GMT reps with 2836s are testament to why sometimes choosing an ETA movement as a priority over having a movement that is functinally accurate is a BAD (and I would say ignorant) choice.

One of the principle real (as opposed to perceived or brand snobbery) benefits of ETA movements over other reliable and well known alternatives (Miyota, Seagull etc) is the availability of replacement parts to aid servicing. This benefit is lost with the 'GMT modified' 2836 as the basic movement is taken away from original spec by the addition of custom parts that are not available outside the rep factories. The Zigmeister posted this fact in a reply to a previous thread on this same subject.

Makes sence... :g: