When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Day quick-set problem on Cousteau Divers

jj69

Just got my Cousteau Divers and there's a small problem.

When I have the crown in position 2 (quick-set Day and Date), I can set the date with no problem. However, when I try to set the Day, the day wheel always gets stuck between SAT and SUN.

If I move the crown to position 3 (set time), I can always advance through a full 24 hour cycle and get the Day to advance normally. In other words, the Day is not permanently stuck between SAT and SUN. It just gets stuck temporarily when you attempt to quick-set the date (when the day wheel is turning counter-clockwise).

If you're familiar with the A7750, you turn the crown in one direction to set Date, and in the other direction to set the Day. The Days actually advance in reverse order (i.e. WED, TUE, MON, SUN, SAT, FRI, etc.) When it reaches the SUN-SAT changeover, that's when the day wheel gets stuck between them.

Does this indicate a serious problem? Is this a simple fix, or is there a major problem with the movement?

I need to decide whether I can live with this, or send it back to the dealer. It's an annoying problem because it renders the quick-set Day useless (so you have to advance the time in crown position 3 in order to set the correct Day of the week). Mailing packages to mainland China is something I am loathe to do, so I'm hoping there's a simple fix for this one.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

TIA!

First of all, don't adjust the date using the quickset between the hours of 8:00 and 2:00...A strange thing with this movement.

Sounds like it could just use an ETA day-date wheels. The Asian ones tend to have some minute QC issues that causes them to be mis-aligned thus causing change over issues.

There is a great write-up on changing out the date wheels below:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=37058

Thanks for the reply, DuDro. I definitely did not try to quick-set between 10 and 2. I always advance time to 6am before using the quick-set function.

Assuming the gen Cousteau uses standard ETA wheels (looks like it does), if that's all I need to do to solve this problem, then that's no problem at all.

Does anyone know for sure if that's all it would take to fix the sticking Day wheel problem???