When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to find Hamilton or other ETA 6497 movements?

old skool

Is Ebay the best bet?

What do you search for? What are some available, relatively inexpensive 6497 options for movements out there? Any pocket watch recommendations?

What about the Cortbert movement? Is that an easy swap? Where/how do you search for that?

I won't even ask about Angelus 240, I already know the answer: hard to find and even harder to afford.

An alternative to the Cortebert 618 could be the russian Moljna movement which is in fact a copy of that thing, just like the Poljot 3133 is a clone of the ETA 7730 with higher beats. For that you might google for the poljot sellers on the web.

Edited by Fish

Depends what you're looking for. If you want a good long term watch movement a new, plain ETA 6497 is a good option in a closed back watch eg A - D series Panerai 001, 002 etc. In that case, because thay are inexpensive anyhow, you would probably be best advised to buy a new fresh movement directly from an ETA supply house (ofrei / cousins) as this will not require fresh lubricant etc.

If you want a display back and your priority isn't a visual replication of any particular movement then a decorated 6497 is available but at greater cost. I have picked up a few on ebay very reasonably as well as a Hamilton 6497/2 with blued screws and sunburst wheels and also a unique Bulova which would look good on display. Just take your time and the right thing crops up from time to time.

Also try Tourby, here on the forum - he can supply new ETA movements.