When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Different Panerai Movements

alant

Hi dear all, I understand Panerai do have a few different movements for their different watches. I'm not talking about those new in-house movements. I'm mainly looking at the OP XI and OP X. I have done a search and gone through hard copies of the catalogs but I still have some queries especially with respect to the rep movements. I hope you all could help and advise me a little. Thanks in advance.

Let's get started. Here is what I know. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Below is a pic of the OP XI with the word 'Panerai' repeatedly engraved and the words 'Officine Panerai' in gold color engraved too.

OPXI.jpg

(Picture 1)

Next is a pic of the OP X with only the words 'Officine Panerai' in blue color engraved.

OPX.jpg

(Picture 2)

From the above, cosmetic wise it's obvious there are some variations. My question is that for reps, I tend to see models stated with abbreviations like 'G', 'H', 'E' etc so I'm not sure what they are referring to. And so do the gen watches let's say for a certain model comes with two different variations in the movements too?

1. For example for 111E, is it using movement like shown in pic 2?

2. For example for 111G, is it using movement like shown in pic 1?

3. For example for 127H, is it using movement like shown in pic 2?

4. For example for 127E, is it using movement like shown in pic 1?

5. For example for 183G, is it using movement like shown in pic 1?

6. For example for 183H, is it using movement like shown in pic 2?

7. Then for Pam005, which movement?

Thank you! :D

Hi dear all, I understand Panerai do have a few different movements for their different watches. I'm not talking about those new in-house movements. I'm mainly looking at the OP XI and OP X. I have done a search and gone through hard copies of the catalogs but I still have some queries especially with respect to the rep movements. I hope you all could help and advise me a little. Thanks in advance.

Let's get started. Here is what I know. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

Below is a pic of the OP XI with the word 'Panerai' repeatedly engraved and the words 'Officine Panerai' in gold color engraved too.

OPXI.jpg

(Picture 1)

Next is a pic of the OP X with only the words 'Officine Panerai' in blue color engraved.

OPX.jpg

(Picture 2)

From the above, cosmetic wise it's obvious there are some variations. My question is that for reps, I tend to see models stated with abbreviations like 'G', 'H', 'E' etc so I'm not sure what they are referring to. And so do the gen watches let's say for a certain model comes with two different variations in the movements too?

1. For example for 111E, is it using movement like shown in pic 2?

2. For example for 111G, is it using movement like shown in pic 1?

3. For example for 127H, is it using movement like shown in pic 2?

4. For example for 127E, is it using movement like shown in pic 1?

5. For example for 183G, is it using movement like shown in pic 1?

6. For example for 183H, is it using movement like shown in pic 2?

7. Then for Pam005, which movement?

Thank you! :D

huh?

Each year's PAM gets a letter:

J: 2007

I: 2006

H: 2005

G: 2004

F: 2003

E: 2002

D: 2001

C: 2000

B: 1999

A: 1998

(no letter): 1997

Picture 1 is found in PAM series C-G. Picture 2 is the newer movement found in H-series PAMs and later.

Same with the dials: 'Sausage' dials can be found in PAM series C-G. 'Sandwich' dials are used since the H-series.

I you wanna read more please check hxxp://www.paneristi.com/reference/serialnums.html

Each year's PAM gets a letter:

J: 2007

I: 2006

H: 2005

G: 2004

F: 2003

E: 2002

D: 2001

C: 2000

B: 1999

A: 1998

(no letter): 1997

Picture 1 is found in PAM series C-G. Picture 2 is the newer movement found in H-series PAMs and later.

Same with the dials: 'Sausage' dials can be found in PAM series C-G. 'Sandwich' dials are used since the H-series.

I you wanna read more please check hxxp://www.paneristi.com/reference/serialnums.html

The movement shown in Picture 1 is the original OP Xl movement which looks identical to the original OP X movement. The difference is that the OP Xl displays hours, minutes and seconds while the OP X has only hours and minutes. However from the back they both look exactly the same. The decoration shown in Picture 1 is the original pattern of the repeated PANERAI which was a feature of the OP Xl & OP X for the series E, F and G only. The series designations change in the spring of each year following the Basel exhibition.

The second picture is the OP Xl / OP X movement with the H and later style of decoration which remains current in the J series that will roll over to the K series in April 2008.

Prior to the OP Xl & OP X movements was the OPll (Luminor Marina with secs) and OPl ( base / Luminor without secs) for series A, B, C and D. These had the original ETA shaped plates and no swan neck regulator but had the same PANERAI engraved decoration as the original OP Xl & OP X.

The preA movements were also OP ll and OP l but these had CdG stripes similar to the current OP Xl and OP X and it should be noted that all series of the 000 and 005 do not have the fancy bridges and swan neck regulator but have OP l and OP ll with similar (but differently orientated) CdG decoration to the preA.

Edited by PAMman