When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

non jimmyfu crystal in a jimmy case

pete2528ca

Ok, I know that you would need a jimmy gasket to make a non jimmy crystal fit in the case, but hypothetically if you don't have the right gasket, what other alternatives are there to make it work.

Could someone glue the crystal in place? I got a kit and it has a dsn crystal, but not specified on what the gasket is. it is probably the right one, but after reading and reading, i am just a bit nervous and want to have all my ducks in a row incase i need to figure out another method.

cheers.

pete

Guest avitt

I'm not sure about the gasket question, but if you're going to be using Jimmy's bezel, then another consideration would be the thickness of the crystal. For reference, JF's crystals are 3.6 mm thick at the center, and 2.8 mm at the edge.

In my experience all of the crystals (JF's, DSN's, gens & reps) are the same size. You need a crystal gasket in JF's because his bezel is a 1:1 copy of the gen which also uses a similar gasket. However, I'm sure that a crystal could be cemented into place if DSN's crystal / gasket doesn't fit but I would really pursue the 'proper' route first.

It sounds like you have the DSN crystal / gasket kit but haven't got the JF bezel, otherwise you could easily check if it all fits. If you intend to get a bezel later then I would advise that you buy a bezel complete with JF crystal. I know that they are not sapphire but they must be similar to Seiko 'Hardlex' because I have used one without any signs of scratches after a year of normal use. If it does scratch then you could swap it for the DSN.

Edited by PAMman

sorry, i should have mentioned that i do have a jimmy bezel as well. i picked up the kit on rwi, from a long time member. bezel and case are jimmy, crystal is dsn. i am waiting on a response if the gasket is a jimmy one.

he did state and showed me a link that has a similar set up on another watch and it looks great. so i am thinking it wil work, but am just making sure.

if i was to cement it, what would i use? UV glue? hypocement?