When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Making My First Strap

Guest asad

I just got back from a visit from my local Leather materials shop and consulted with the owner/leather smith and asked him if I want to make a watch strap myself, how hard does he think it will be. He said it should be relatively easy to do. Then he took me on a walk around the shop and told me that if I plan to make more strap it would be alot cheaper to just get the necessary tools to doing it myself. I went ahead and picked up a few things:

DSC08884-1.jpg

He being very kind, told me that I can have those for half off as he wants me to keep coming back. So I think I have enough material for 2 straps for starters. So I got four strips of all American calf leather a few needles and some stitching thread. Am I missing some thing?

Thanks

Edited by asad

Guest carlsbadrolex

I kinda gave up on this hobby after making several straps. I have a pretty complete tool box set up, if you are interested I would be willing to pass it on to someone who will use it. Just let me know and you can have it!

a punch of some sort, so you can make the holes.

some wax will be useful too, as sliding the needle thru leather is really hard on the hands....

Thanks, I already have the punch to make the sizing holes, and I think I got the WAX also.

There is a TZ DIY and one on Repgeek. (maybe two on Repgeek). Also you can pick up some leather working books at the leather store.

Thanks, I already saw a couple of really good and easy to follow tutorials at Paneristi.

Don't forget the Glue!

Thanks, I got some cement glue, that I think will do the work.

I kinda gave up on this hobby after making several straps. I have a pretty complete tool box set up, if you are interested I would be willing to pass it on to someone who will use it. Just let me know and you can have it!

Thank You soo much. P.M. sent!

Guest carlsbadrolex

I have several needles, some rollers for marking holes, some awls for punching holes, a hole punch with several die's, calipers for measuring, metal rulers for cutting and 2 really nice cutting wheels (they look like pizza cutters but are razor blades). Quite an assortment of colored thread, 1/2 of a leather hide and several other pieces of leather that could be used for straps and the correct waterproof glue for leather.

Let me know if you want the stuff... Its yours if you do!

I have several needles, some rollers for marking holes, some awls for punching holes, a hole punch with several die's, calipers for measuring, metal rulers for cutting and 2 really nice cutting wheels (they look like pizza cutters but are razor blades). Quite an assortment of colored thread, 1/2 of a leather hide and several other pieces of leather that could be used for straps and the correct waterproof glue for leather.

Let me know if you want the stuff... Its yours if you do!

Thanks You Soo Very Much!. You are soo very kind. If there is anything I can give, please do let me know. I owe you big time as I did not have half the material to making this possible looking even a half decent strap. Thanks again for such great help!

You need to look at Frogmans Tutorial on Repgeek it is by far the best out there hands down.

Also Repgeek has a new section just deditcated to making straps

http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=16557

http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=15327

Best advise that I can give you is take your time and then take some more time.

Cut straight and practice. Stitching is the hardest part for me and it takes TONS of practice to get it to look good.

I just started making straps let me know if you need any advice or help

Catcher

You need to look at Frogmans Tutorial on Repgeek it is by far the best out there hands down.

Also Repgeek has a new section just deditcated to making straps

http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=16557

http://www.repgeek.com/showthread.php?t=15327

Best advise that I can give you is take your time and then take some more time.

Cut straight and practice. Stitching is the hardest part for me and it takes TONS of practice to get it to look good.

I just started making straps let me know if you need any advice or help

Catcher

Thanks, I already went through frogmans tutorial, and there are a couple on Paneristi, I have a good idea how I am going to do it now.