When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Some more DLC info

Spoooooonz

I know someone is looking to offer a DLC service, so I thought I would clarify something. True DLC is pure sp3 bonded carbon atoms and has a hardness in excess of diamond 10,000vickers+. Such a coating is used on the rado v10k scratchproof watch. There are various other DLC formulations that contain additives like nitrogen and metallic elements and sp2 bonded carbon. These are produced to make application more straightforward, reduce costs, or alter colour, but at the expense of hardness. The impure forms of DLC top out at about 4000-5000vickers. There are plenty of companies out there offering pure sp3 DLC coatings, and maybe an approach could be made to one of these.

Guest avitt

I'd argue that "true" DLC is not pure sp3 bonds (synthetic diamond coating may be). Most commercial DLC coating are a combination of sp3 and sp2 bonds.

The DLC coatings that I've been investigating are designated as hydrogenated amorphous carbon films, a-C:H. And are greater than 70% sp3. These coating, when applied by PACVD, have optimal characteristics for coating watches...Which is why the Swiss watch industry is rapidly adopting these techniques and materials.

Here is an excellent reference of the different carbon based coatings.

Guest avitt
There are plenty of companies out there offering pure sp3 DLC coatings, and maybe an approach could be made to one of these.

BTW...I've made the approach to about 20-30 coating companies. It's not very easy to find one that's willing to take on small volumes of watches (they like to stick with what they do best...high volumes of tools, car parts, machinery, etc)...But I've found a couple, and have sample parts out to them now.