When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AP Royal Oak Chrono

iceberg1459

iceberg, this is my favourite affordable watch. There are actually a couple of reps....unfortunately they are absolutely terrible.

A number of us have been waiting for a proper rep of this model for years. The main problem is that there is no replica movement with the appropriate sub-dial arrangement and placement. And they seem to have a problem replicating the case properly (or they don't care about repping the case properly).

Personally I have given up waiting, and I'm saving up for a gen.

Correct me if im wrong but i think the subdial layout seems to be exactly same as the daytona, if they can make daytona thay can make this too. Even a quartz one with good quality would do for me, it has plain caseback anyway, i love the beautiful simple design of the watch.

Even in ebay it goes for 12k, little too much for me :( Your lucky if u can buy the gen :)

The key words are "subdial arrangement and placement" :)

The subdial arrangement is the same as the Daytona, but the placement is different. For example, the 9/3 subdials on the RO Chrono are located on the horizontal axis of the center pin, whereas the Daytona's 9/3 subdials are above the horizontal axis of the centre pin. This is because the gens use different movements.

OK ratchpot....I hear you loud and clear, but speaking honestly: "Has there ever been an AP rep you actually liked?"

I only read post from you where you judge about the errors and flaws and how bad the rep is.

Not saying you are wrong, there are a lot of parts in the known AP reps that are far away from being real or even closer to fantasy than Donald Duck :D

But anyway, I like the design of the AP

OK ratchpot....I hear you loud and clear, but speaking honestly: "Has there ever been an AP rep you actually liked?"

I like the RO Nick Faldo model (from River). I wore it for a long time. There were many flaws - but this was one situation where it didn't matter how many people bought it, because it was an obscure model and they never released an improved version.

The ROOs and the RO Chrono are very popular gens and therefore I am more critical of the flaws in those reps. I also do it from the perspective of educating those members who are interested but who don't have the time to do the comparison themselves :)

Affordable??? These cost around 10 grand in pounds :p You must be loaded then :lol:

I use the word "affordable" to distinguish it from my favourite watch... the AP Tradition d'Excellence Cabinet Piece No. 4 ($400,000+).

We will see the white dialed AP RO chrono in the next months....hopefully in 39mm

In that case the first flaw they'll need to fix is to increase the diameter to 40mm :)