When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen/Rep/Franken/?

UncleJay

OK, I think I'm getting the terms down now, but I wonder about a few things. This comes from questions on my PVD Logo, JayTech I and upcoming JayTech II. I can't find a way to describe my Frankns, so I've given it some thought and here's what I came up with.

The Gen (100% genuine) and Rep (100% factory replica) are self explanatory, but from there I get a little lost. When I see a Rep/Mod it's usually a replica modified with aftermarket parts or service, is this correct? Franken is usually a Rep modified with OEM parts, we have to change that I think, don't like how it sounds. I think Custom sounds better than Franken. Well, how about a Franken/Custom made with all OEM parts? I feel Gen/Custom or Ulti/Gen sounds just about right.

I've seen some nice Gen/Customs in the past. It was a SS Submariner with OEM TT blue Sub dial (YG markers replaced with WG) that started me on my quest for the perfect Panerai. Has anyone here ever made a Gen/Custom?

Gen (genuine 100%)

Rep (replica factory version)

Rep/Mod (replica modified with aftermarket parts or service)

Franken aka Custom (replica modified with OEM genuine and aftermarket parts or service)

Gen/Custom or Ulti/Gen (non-existent model assembled with 100% OEM parts)

OK, I think I'm getting the terms down now, but I wonder about a few things. This comes from questions on my PVD Logo, JayTech I and upcoming JayTech II. I can't find a way to describe my Frankns, so I've given it some thought and here's what I came up with.

The Gen (100% genuine) and Rep (100% factory replica) are self explanatory, but from there I get a little lost. When I see a Rep/Mod it's usually a replica modified with aftermarket parts or service, is this correct? Franken is usually a Rep modified with OEM parts, we have to change that I think, don't like how it sounds. I think Custom sounds better than Franken. Well, how about a Franken/Custom made with all OEM parts? I feel Gen/Custom or Ulti/Gen sounds just about right.

I've seen some nice Gen/Customs in the past. It was a SS Submariner with OEM TT blue Sub dial (YG markers replaced with WG) that started me on my quest for the perfect Panerai. Has anyone here ever made a Gen/Custom?

Gen (genuine 100%)

Rep (replica factory version)

Rep/Mod (replica modified with aftermarket parts or service)

Franken aka Custom (replica modified with OEM genuine and aftermarket parts or service)

Gen/Custom or Ulti/Gen (non-existent model assembled with 100% OEM parts)

You got it, Uncle Jay.The only thing I would add that is that frankens either have a gen dial or more than one gen part. For example IMO a rep w/ an oem crown or hands would be a modded rep, but a rep w/ a gen crown, CG, and hands would qualify as a franken. It's a matter of degree.

You got it, Uncle Jay.The only thing I would add that is that frankens either have a gen dial or more than one gen part. For example IMO a rep w/ an oem crown or hands would be a modded rep, but a rep w/ a gen crown, CG, and hands would qualify as a franken. It's a matter of degree.

You see, I am learning from these guys! :lol:

My thoughts exactly. I was going to say that to qualify as a Franken/Custom you would need a substantial OEM part/parts. I'd say dial, crown/CG, and/or hands ..... but what about a case back, large but not readily seen when worn. The idea is to have an OEM part that's hard to get and makes a big difference to both the look and value of the piece.

Hey Batman, The batmobile was a modded chevy...

Sorry JoJo, but the Batmobile was a Lincoln Futura built in 1955 by Ghia. It starred opposite Glen Ford in "It started with a kiss" then customized by George Barris for Fox. Hey, you better make the GTG! ;)

zzzzzzzzzbatmobiletimeline.jpg

Sorry JoJo, but the Batmobile was a Lincoln Futura built in 1955 by Ghia. It starred opposite Glen Ford in "It started with a kiss" then customized by George Barris for Fox. Hey, you better make the GTG! ;)

zzzzzzzzzbatmobiletimeline.jpg

Very nice Jay, but you were thinking of the older "MBW" vintage version (I heard that it actually took genuine Ford replacement parts!)

I was thinking of the newer Chevy powered ones! <ahttp://rwg.cc/uploads/emoticons/default_wink.gif' alt=';)'> http://www.batmobilehistory.com/

Here's a little more Jay...

Is this a Ford powered by a Chevy???? OMG! Frankin!!! lol

The Batmobile, a car buff's ultimate dream machine, has been redesigned for "Batman Begins" -- the latest installment of the movie franchise, which hits movie screens Wednesday.

This is definitely not your father's Batmobile. Gone are the clean lines and sleek profile that inspired generations of caped crusader fans. The new Batmobile is all business, from its menacing face to its 44-inch off-road rear tires.

And in keeping with the times, the new design is a hybrid -- though not the fuel-stingy, gasoline-electric variety currently coveted by car-buyers. The Batmobile's 5.7-liter Chevy V-8 is mated to a jet engine that enables the car to leap tall buildings in a ... wait, that's another superhero.

The Batmobile is on display today at the Star Southfield movie theater complex as Warner Brothers revs up its publicity machine for the movie's debut.

During a sneak preview of the vehicle Sunday, most theater-goers recognized it as Batman's ride -- despite the radical new design.

But not all were impressed. Seven-year-old Brianna Kennedy of Southfield said she preferred her family's Ford Explorer.

Her father, however, had other ideas. "I'd have fun driving her to school in that," said Brian Kennedy, 34. "It speaks to me. I like it."

"Batman Begins" producers call it a "sports tank," blending the sexiness of a high-performance car with the ruggedness of an SUV.

In the movie, the car is developed for military use by Gotham-based Wayne Enterprises. Called "The Tumbler," it is designed to move soldiers and equipment over hostile terrain -- hence its jet-powered jumping capability.

Working with director Christopher Nolan, production designer Nathan Crowley conceived the car's shape by combining scale models of Humvees and Lamborghinis. Professional car designers are impressed.

"I give the new Batmobile two thumbs up," said Patrick Schiavone, Ford Motor Co.'s director of car design. "The new Batmobile should be considered a character in the film, reflecting Chris Nolan's vision of a simpler, darker, more dramatic Batman."

PS: Sorry to hijack the thread, please resume Frankin discussion ;):)

You see, I am learning from these guys! :lol:

My thoughts exactly. I was going to say that to qualify as a Franken/Custom you would need a substantial OEM part/parts. I'd say dial, crown/CG, and/or hands ..... but what about a case back, large but not readily seen when worn. The idea is to have an OEM part that's hard to get and makes a big difference to both the look and value of the piece.

Casebacks are odd things. They're either Lets say you have reps modded identically so that they are on the wrist near-perfect. On one you put a gen caseback appropriate for the model. The other has the standard rep caseback with a known rep serial (like the 127 for example which for all the versions that have been done have only have 2 serial #'s, and one of them is on 80% of the reps) or a wrong series letter, etc. That OEM caseback might double or even triple the price of the rep because, though that watch may say 061/3000 it is a 1 of f'n 1 franken. Now lets say you have two reps which even with all possible mods still have a big flaw--a bum dial let's say. IMO, that caseback would be nice to have, but it's not worth a heck of a lot of money because a knowledgable PAM collector is going to call you out before he even gets to the caseback. Really the only reason you want the caseback is just in case the next version of the rep has a good dial. Then the caseback becomes priceless!! :lol: I can even think of a couple circumstances where you might pass on a gen caseback. For example if I had a gen l-swiss 02 dial and someone offered to trade a gen 01D caseback for the $80 rep 02B casebacks that are available (some of them w/ rare serial #'s) I'd have to think long and hard it, since I believe that the an l-swiss 2B is worth a little more than a 2d. On the other hand, if a gen caseback makes a watch a rare series or model, it's even more priceless than one that just fixes a serial number!!

LOL! Was that convoluted and poorly written enough for everyone?