When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bell & Ross 03-92 problems

szvwj

I've been having problems with my B&R 03-92 (Asian 4813 movement).

When I pull out the crown to adjust the time, the second hand stops (perfectly normal). Most of the time, however, when I push the crown back in, the second hand does NOT start back up again. If it does start again, it usually stops within a short period of time (I've made sure that there's plenty of power reserve, so that's not the issue).

Sometimes, when I push in the crown, I am still able to adjust the time! It

i have the exact same problem with mine, and a number of other members have posted the same thing.

it's almost like the stem is too short?

i'm considering buying an extra one of the higher beat seagull movements from ajoesmith and having a watchmaker put it in. not sure if that will fix it or not but the BR is one of my favorite casual/sport watches and it's worth spending a bit to me :)

• 2 weeks later...

In an attempt to fix the problem with my BR03-92 I tried the following:

• I pulled out the crown stem, measured the overall length (from the end of the crown to the end of the stem).
  • Unscrewed the crown (not an easy thing to do, the crown is bonded to the stem).
  • Screwed the crown back onto the stem (not screwing it on quite as far), leaving an additional .01" from the end of the crown to the end of the stem. I used loctite to secure the crown to the stem.

This seems to have done the trick. Since the adjustment, I haven't had a single problem. I'm a bit surprised and keep expecting it to fail, but so far it's working perfectly.

I'm keeping my eye out for a replacement movement (or replacement stem) just in case.

Sounds like as has been said crown stem too short and movement may not be 100% solid on retainer if plastic this is normal. The only real cure is a new stem . you could of course try the method of taking the winder off and not putting it back so far although a new stem would be better. A good way to get crown from stem is with an Archimedes drill just put the stem in like you would a drill bit and hold the crown and slide the drill back this is a great way to remove and refit crowns as you can leave only the smallest amount of stem bar unsupported much better than a pliers that can snap the stem

Ok... my attempted fix (making the stem longer) doesn't seem to have worked after all. After running perfectly for several days, it now just randomly stops. If I could make the stem longer, that might help, but there aren't enough threads.

Since a new 4813 is only $26 (from Ofrei), I decided to just replace the movement.

I hope I didn't send anyone down the wrong path with my previously proposed solution.

• 11 months later...
Ok... my attempted fix (making the stem longer) doesn't seem to have worked after all. After running perfectly for several days, it now just randomly stops. If I could make the stem longer, that might help, but there aren't enough threads.

Since a new 4813 is only $26 (from Ofrei), I decided to just replace the movement.

I hope I didn't send anyone down the wrong path with my previously proposed solution.

HI how did you solve the problem ? I also have the same issue with the watch.

If you can share the solution that would be great..

thanks

I'm no expert, but it also sounds like your keyless works could be sticky. I've had a similar problem rebuilding a 7750 where the little L-shaped hack slider did not want to slide very well. The symptoms were similar.

It isn't too difficult to get at the works if you are willing to tear down your watch a bit. I'm not sure on that movement if it's easier to get to from dial side or back side. From that point however, I was stuck. I tried adding a drop of standard synthetic watch oil to the works and hack, and it didn't seem to change anything. Still sticky. I could slide things gently with a tweezers, but pushing/pulling the crown alone wouldn't do it.

If you were planning on ordering a new movement anyway however, it couldn't really hurt (except of course be very careful with your dial and hands). It's fun to tinker and see how the pieces work.

• 4 weeks later...

my 3 weeks old 03-92 is having the same issues...did movement replacing solve the issue or is it design flaw ( stem too short)?

I'm thinking to find someone local (Toronto) to replace movement first, because seller wants me to pay shipping both ways, which is very expensive. Any advice for local watchsmith capable of movement swap would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update.

I was able to source a movement from Ajoesmith (back when he had them in stock). I replaced the movement and it's been working well for several months. It still seems to have a bit of an issue when setting the time (I have to play with it to get it to start up), so I'm guessing that there's something inherently messed-up with this particular movement.

Just a side note, the old movement (now that it's out of the watch) seems to be running just fine...weird.

I ve no idea whats wrong with this movement, as mentioned above once its out of the case it runs fine. Could the dial be causing a problem ?

Anyone have any ideas whats happening ? Its the 2813 movement in my watch, any help would be great.