When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How much should I pay for a JF Case/Gen AR'd x-tal/Gen bezel?

dylan

How do you know that you're getting a gen bezel and crystal and how is it available without the gen case? Is this allegedly coming from someone who broke up a J111?

IMO the jimmy case is the most valuable part of the trio. I doubt anyone could tell a gen bezel from a jimmy or even rep bezel, and only a very few hardcore paneristi could tell a chieftang single ARed rep sapphire crystal (worth about $60) from a gen. A jimmy case, however, is clearly different and more gen-like than a rep case.

I'm sure there are many guys here who would pay in excess of $200 for this combo. I certainly wouldn't.

How do you know that you're getting a gen bezel and crystal and how is it available without the gen case? Is this allegedly coming from someone who broke up a J111?

IMO the jimmy case is the most valuable part of the trio. I doubt anyone could tell a gen bezel from a jimmy or even rep bezel, and only a very few hardcore paneristi could tell a chieftang single ARed rep sapphire crystal (worth about $60) from a gen. A jimmy case, however, is clearly different and more gen-like than a rep case.

My point exactly - unless there is a clear provinence to the bezel & crystal you should not assume that this is what's being offered for sale. How did someone acquire a gen bezel unless they parted out a gen watch and parting the gen case from its bezel makes no sense whatsoever - this needs very careful examination. It is well know that a rep forum member did part out a 111 and offered all the parts for sale on ebay and then later on the forum. However that case & bezel / crystal, complete with all screws, clamps, gaskets etc stayed intact and I now own it, so this is not it.

Up until approx 1 1/2 or 2 years ago Panerai did supply parts to a select few non-AD enthusiasts / 'Risti members. This was a service which seems to have been an historic hangover from the ad hoc arrangements of the preV era and was very hush-hush and low-key. It was a facility that the ADs didn't have but that has now stopped. I sure that Uncle Jay will either have had access to this ad hoc facility or had links with those who had. However AFAIK the practice had stopped prior to the J series so it's unlikely that such parts could have come via that route.

My point exactly - unless there is a clear provinence to the bezel & crystal you should not assume that this is what's being offered for sale. How did someone acquire a gen bezel unless they parted out a gen watch and parting the gen case from its bezel makes no sense whatsoever - this needs very careful examination.

And even the bezel and crystal can be verified 100% gen, IMO it has very little real value over modded rep parts since maybe 20 people on earth would be able to determine their genness when installed into a watch-- which is of course why they're for sale, w/ a healthy profit envisioned to be sure.

If they were offered to me, I'd figure out how much complete jimmy cases and sapphire crystal set would go for (in the unlikely event they could ever sell consistently for $200 I may consider trading mine since I have 3 each still in paper and cling wrap) and add a few bucks for the time and money saved by not having to pay, wait and ship for the next AR run. Maybe $60 or $70.

I'd agree that the bang for the buck is pretty low with gen crystal and bezel. Single side AR - whether it be gen or not - is so subtle that I could never detect what it is. If the crystal by itself is coming at a price that is lower than a rep sapphire + aftermarket AR job, then obviously it's worthwhile but probably not otherwise. The JF case is nice to have, but of all JF parts the cases do seem to be the most available / least sought after. They come around from time to time, unlike the JF CGs. And finally, on the bezel, I'd also say it's not a good value. Who can differentiate between a gen and JF or even rep bezel?