When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bracelet stretch

teddy boy

I have a gen Airking from the early 80s that I bought used. Recently I've noticed that the pin on the clasp shows from the underside of the bracelet(it sticks out a bit) and that the bracelet isn't exactly square with the watch. Is this the end result of bracelet stretch? If so, other than appearance what are the problems. Should I get an after market bracelet as a replacement?

Guest carlsbadrolex

You are about at terminal stretch... I had always thought that the jubilee bracelet could not effectively be repaired when stretched. I have since been shown that the labor involved in taking every link apart and replacing the pins in each link can fully renew the bracelet.

Now is this cost effective considering you can buy an aftermarket bracelet and swap out the clasp??? Not really! But if you want an all genuine piece for less than buying a new gen bracelet... It works.

My watch smith charges in the neighborhood of $250 for parts and labor. This includes taking EVERY link apart, replacing the internal pin and refinishing the entire bracelet. Once done, you would not know it was a vintage piece.

Personally, I would not do this... The aftermarket bracelets available (not the REPLICA ones available from our dealers) are quite nice and can be found for under $150.

You are about at terminal stretch... I had always thought that the jubilee bracelet could not effectively be repaired when stretched. I have since been shown that the labor involved in taking every link apart and replacing the pins in each link can fully renew the bracelet.

Now is this cost effective considering you can buy an aftermarket bracelet and swap out the clasp??? Not really! But if you want an all genuine piece for less than buying a new gen bracelet... It works.

My watch smith charges in the neighborhood of $250 for parts and labor. This includes taking EVERY link apart, replacing the internal pin and refinishing the entire bracelet. Once done, you would not know it was a vintage piece.

Personally, I would not do this... The aftermarket bracelets available (not the REPLICA ones available from our dealers) are quite nice and can be found for under $150.

Thanks for your reply. The best deal that I've seen for an aftermarket bracelet with solid 14k midlinks is around $330 on ebay. Given your post, this would seem high. Do you know of a source that offers solid 14k in the $150 range? Also I assume that my watchmaker can change the clasp?

Guest carlsbadrolex

Didnt realize it was two tone... Havent seen any for that price. $330 seems really fair given the current gold prices.

Thanks for your reply. The best deal that I've seen for an aftermarket bracelet with solid 14k midlinks is around $330 on ebay. Given your post, this would seem high. Do you know of a source that offers solid 14k in the $150 range? Also I assume that my watchmaker can change the clasp?

It's from a guy who has lots of really good feedback on ebay over a long period of time. I'm going to go with it. Thanks again for your help!