When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Visit to Gen AD

teddy boy

My wife and I were at the high end mall tonight and I naturally had to visit one of the jewelry stores. After looking at the Chopards, Tags, and Pams through the display case, I made my way over to the Rolex area. I wasn't dressed all that well, so they were ignoring me. Eventually the sales person noticed the Omega SMP on my wrist and I guess she decided that I was a watch person and thus possibly worthy of her attention. From that point on, she couldn't pull things out of the display case fast enough. I really only wanted to look at two watches; the solid yellow gold blue dial sub and a white gold day date with the rhodium dial and flouted bezel. Those are the two watches for which I own high quality reps. I handled both gen watches, tried them on and inspected them very carefully. While I'm not foolish enough to suppose that my reps would pass a side by side comparison, I am convinced that it would take a highly skilled person to identify my watches as reps other than side by side. I have to believe that most of the stories posted on the forum by people who were called out were either (1) a lucky guess or (2) an educated guess based on the wearers age and/or employment status. My point is that, in my opinion, our reps today are that good. Only people with the skill level shown by some on this forum and by gen watchmakers would allow one to pick out a rep. I don't believe that most jewelry store sales people have that skill level.