When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Non moving hour hand - 6497 movt

Guys,

Just received a new PAM 111H from Angus,

Watch looks good, winds okay, seconds hand moves but the minute hand does not move (ie the hour hand does not move also).

However, time can be adjusted or changed manually.

Any quick fix for this. I did send Angus an email, awaiting his reply. But it would be good to hear from the resident experts here about this. Sending watch back is my last option (that is if I hear from Angus...)

Kindest Regards

Siesta

The cannon pinion is defective.

My guess is that when you move the hands with the crown, there is little to no resistance felt and the hands move very easily. You should feel quite a bit of resistance when setting the time, as much as when you wind the watch.

Not a self fix problem, it needs to come apart and be staked to correct it.

RG

The cannon pinion is defective.

My guess is that when you move the hands with the crown, there is little to no resistance felt and the hands move very easily. You should feel quite a bit of resistance when setting the time, as much as when you wind the watch.

Not a self fix problem, it needs to come apart and be staked to correct it.

RG

Hi The Zigmeister,

You are right... no resistance when moving the hands (compared to my other 6497s).

Will replacing the cannon pinion solve this? My skills are amateurish at best (Replacing the recessed PAM cannon pins and half decent attempts at luming sandwich dials). I would hate to send the watch back.

Been lucky so far, first defective movt. Guess it's a numbers game.

Thanks for the response The Zigmeister.

It's certainly worth a try, I hate sending anything back.

There is a shortcut you can use also, remove the hands and dial, remove the hour wheel, then with a set of side cutters, carefully squeeze the cannon pin below the top bearing (if you examine the cannon pin with a loupe, you will see the part that the minute hand attaches to, below it a larger bearing surface, and then a narrow part, and then on the bottom a larger bearing again, you want to squeeze below the top bearing surface on the narrow part). There should be a small dent visible somewhere on this narrow part, this is supposed to provide the necessairy friction.

What you do is squeeze gently, then turn the crown and test the amount of friction, keep doing this until the friction is normal, about the same as when winding, re-assemble, and Bob (not nanuq) is you uncle...

Good luck.

RG

There is a shortcut you can use also, remove the hands and dial, remove the hour wheel, then with a set of side cutters, carefully squeeze the cannon pin below the top bearing (if you examine the cannon pin with a loupe, you will see the part that the minute hand attaches to, below it a larger bearing surface, and then a narrow part, and then on the bottom a larger bearing again, you want to squeeze below the top bearing surface on the narrow part). There should be a small dent visible somewhere on this narrow part, this is supposed to provide the necessairy friction.

What you do is squeeze gently, then turn the crown and test the amount of friction, keep doing this until the friction is normal, about the same as when winding, re-assemble, and Bob (not nanuq) is you uncle...

Good luck.

RG

Thank RG. Looks like I have something to do over the weekend.

Didn't quite catch "and Bob (not nanuq) is you uncle..." though. Flew right over my head. Who's Bob and nanuq??? :huh:

Good luck.

RG

Hi RG!

Good (Glad!!!) to see you back in action! RWG Missed you!

Hike

BTW: We missed Victoria, too!!!!

Thank RG. Looks like I have something to do over the weekend.

Didn't quite catch "and Bob (not nanuq) is you uncle..." though. Flew right over my head. Who's Bob and nanuq??? :huh:

"Bob's your uncle" is a saying around where I live, it means everything is ok.

Bob "nanuq" is a mod here. I didn't want you to mix both up.

Sorry for the confusion.

RG

"Bob's your uncle" is a saying around where I live, it means everything is ok.

Bob "nanuq" is a mod here. I didn't want you to mix both up.

Sorry for the confusion.

RG

Haha... Learning something new everyday.... Thanks Rob for clearing that up.

Cheers and a good weekend to everyone.

To interested parties out there,

Couldn't wait for a reply from Angus (honestly, I don't think I can go thru the hassle of sending it back and waiting for it to return.... too many things can go wrong).

Diagnosis by The Zigmeister was spot on. Faulty Cannon pin. Executed as per instructed by Rob

Total time taken to fix this: About 2 hours (Okay, okay...... closer to 3 hours)

Level of difficulty: Probably a 5/10

Remedy:

1. Gently squeeze cannon pin at the hairline dent (visible under loupe - mine was 5x, you can feel it if you run a penknife across it). This dent is located below the bearing that you fix the hour hand to. Remember gently increase pressure (the cannon pin can break). From time to time, turn the crown to check on resistance. Repeat until there's resistance turning the crown (Time setting mode). Patience is criitcal here.

I just finished fixing the dial and hands. Gonna leave the movement out of case for the night just to make sure the clearance between the hands is right

The other option would have been to replace the cannon pin set. Should work as well.

Cheers everyone.

Siesta