When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Did Davidsen come out with more accurate 44mm case set?

milsub5517

That just looks like a regular rep caseset / CG / crown to me - and yes, if it is, it would be a damned sight better than DSN's usual tripe. However, his latest sprung crown is very good and better than the one on this case. DSN's crown has a too thick rim around the inset section at the centre, which this one doesn't, but otherwise it is an excellent crown. If DSN fitted his own crown & tube to a regular rep case then you would have a real improvement.

This is really priceless. Davidsen is being applauded for his new, accurate caseset which accepts springbars properly and this is considered a major step forward. HELLO, WAKE UP, all the other dealers have been selling these for years at a fraction of the price.

i'd love to do a comparison of standard rep case with this DSN's..

That just looks like a regular rep caseset / CG / crown to me - and yes, if it is, it would be a damned sight better than DSN's usual tripe. However, his latest sprung crown is very good and better than the one on this case. DSN's crown has a too thick rim around the inset section at the centre, which this one doesn't, but otherwise it is an excellent crown. If DSN fitted his own crown & tube to a regular rep case then you would have a real improvement.

This is really priceless. Davidsen is being applauded for his new, accurate caseset which accepts springbars properly and this is considered a major step forward. HELLO, WAKE UP, all the other dealers have been selling these for years at a fraction of the price.

It always seems like every time he fixes something, there's another problem that rears its ugly head.

I applaud him for some of the ambition that he shows in his offerings, but some of these problems just annoy me. I've had three of his watches, and each had some unique little issue.

I believe I may have been one of the first to get the new double screwed lugs and it also had the crown to high problem.

1-1.jpg

UJ's picture illustrates the ridiculous profile of DSN's preV case, with it's 'much too high crown', 'much too high bezel' and 'much too large screws'. All he needed to do was use a regular rep case and drill out the threaded lug to match the other side. Compare the case profile with the genuine 5218/201A in this 'Risti article on that subject. The correct profile matches a regular rep case almost perfectly.

http://www.paneristi.com/archives/casedifferences/index.html

All he needed to do was use a regular rep case and drill out the threaded lug to match the other side.

I think it's a little more difficult than that PAMman. Your idea would solve the lug hole size, but the tube/screws would not fit as they are too think. It's not easy making Pre-V tube/screws that small.

I think it's a little more difficult than that PAMman. Your idea would solve the lug hole size, but the tube/screws would not fit as they are too think. It's not easy making Pre-V tube/screws that small.

Sorry UJ, I'm not sure that I understand you.

I am suggesting that a regular rep case (which is very close to the correct profile for a preV case) could be converted to a preV 2-screw specification by drilling out the threaded lug to match the unthreaded side. Then the correct pattern preV screws could be fitted because the preV screws are identical in diameter to the later single, long screws. I have genuine preV screws (and I understand exact replicas are available from Dirk) and they are identical in thickness to the genuine or rep long screws, so they fit the unthreaded lug hole perfectly.

I agree that DSN's 2-screw arrangement won't fit into the proper size holes, because his screws are grossly oversized. That's why his case lug holes are wrong too and together with the crazy tall bezel and too high crown his preV case simply looks ridiculous. There was no need for any of this nonsense as the normal rep case is almost perfect for a preV 5218/201A to begin with.

I don't agree that it would be difficult to replicate the preV screws properly because they are identical to the long scews in every detail, except the length. Similarly the solid section is the same dimensions as the normal tube, except that it's solid and threaded at each end with the same size of internal thread as the regular lug. Therefore we are just utilising existing tooling, but don't forget we are talking China and the watch industry here. Small screws are no problem to the watch industry and these screws are enormous in comparison to anything inside a watch mech. However, as far as producing the correct pattern preV screws is concerned, that project is already underway.