When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

People I meet that own fakes

So today we had a July 4th parade in Hingham, MA. I play for a drum corps from Boston. A trumpet player was giving me a ride back to my car afterwards, and I noticed he had a nice black submariner on. When I asked him about it, he said "no, this was $89... I did have a real rolex once. A friend of mine fell on hard times in the mid-80s and asked me to loan him $350 and I could keep his rolex as collateral. I hung on to it, a stainless steel daytona for 5 years and he gave me 350 to trade it back."

Heck, renting a rolex for free? Who'd a thunk it? :rolleyes:

It happens all the time. I have acquired two gen Rolex's that way.

Wow I never thought of that before. I must still learn something :mellow: But from people you know, i guess ...

This is the principle upon which Pawn Shops work - but they charge interest of course.

I got a great deal on an 18k gold president that way. I found a guy who lent someone $3800 for his pres as collateral and that is all he wanted for it. Got a great deal, wore it for a while and sold it for over $6,000. Not as good a deal as aa Daytona for $350 but I was happy.