When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Payment Methods

Getting ready to purchase my first rep, I am confused about the different methods of payments, including credit cards. I would like to use a credit card, but do I have the same protection that I have when making purchases of a more conventional item? I've read about the problems with PayPal. I thought PayPal was safer then credit cards. What about the other methods? What happens if there are problems with customs, etc. If I never receive my watch, what happens? Am I out of luck? There is so much information on these pages but I wish someone could write a small article about exactly what is involved with each type of payment. Specifically, MB, Western Union, MoneyGram, Bank Wire, and Credit Cards. Also, I live in the United States.

Thanks in advance.

Getting ready to purchase my first rep, I am confused about the different methods of payments, including credit cards. I would like to use a credit card, but do I have the same protection that I have when making purchases of a more conventional item?

Yes. If you ever had to make a claim I would not mention that the merchandise is counterfeit but there is little chance the seller will out himself as a dealer in fake watches when the transaction is investigated. If you say you bought a "watch", the seller is not going to dispute that.

I have seen several successful chargebacks against scam dealers so I know for a fact you still have protection.

I've read about the problems with PayPal. I thought PayPal was safer then credit cards. What about the other methods?

I use PP with a cc as my funding source. Some people say PayPal won't "allow" the credit card to reverse the transaction if your pp dispute is denied. I don't believe it. I have also seen MANY successful chargebacks after PP claims were denied. In the United States consumer credit card protections are not gifted by the issuers, they are guaranteed by Federal law. PP is unreliable but convenient and more accepted by rep dealers. Adding another layer of protection by funding with your credit card NEVER works against you.

What happens if there are problems with customs, etc. If I never receive my watch, what happens? Am I out of luck?

KNOW YOUR DEALER'S POLICIES. Some will replace watches but don't expressly say they will (Andrew/Josh) so you must count on their good will, others such as Ruby guarantee replacement of watches in case of customs seizures. You must do your homework for each dealer and ASK if you are not sure.

There is so much information on these pages but I wish someone could write a small article about exactly what is involved with each type of payment. Specifically, MB, Western Union, MoneyGram, Bank Wire,

I know nothing about MB but WU, MG and Bank Wires only guarantee that the money arrives. Except against intercept in transit, there are ZERO protections. Once they have your money that is it.

Some people will jump in and point out that you should resolve problems with the dealer rather than resorting to chargebacks. I agree. But it would be naive to imagine that there could NEVER be a situation where you might need a drastic remedy. And at the very least, having the option increases the likelihood of a favorable outcome when trying to get solutions. If someone knows that you have NO recourse against them are they going to be as eager to resolve your complaints?

Protect yourself. Choose your dealer carefully. Know their policies. Know the kinds of problems that can crop up and the proper way of dealing with them. Do these things and you will have a good experience.

Good luck.