When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My recent interest in Pam and future project....So advice needed

mwee

Panerai Experts,

I am here again and would really need some advice.

I have been a member here for a while but really not much posts initially as I was reading a lot of the post. My forays into replicas have been mostly other brands except Panerai. I have had a gen 111H before about 3 years ago but sold it off after 3-4 months! I will never forget my embarresment regarding that incident! I was in Germany and the time difference was about 6-7 hours. One fine day, a german colleague remarked to me that I forgot to adjust the time on my watch to German time. I was so embarrassed not because of that as I know I did, it was more because I did not wind it! At that time, I was so used to auto watches that hand wound movement was quite alien to me. I went back and promptly sold it off.

As I found RWG, I have been reading a lot and really found the member here very knowledgeable about watches. I noticed however, that Panerai is the one brand that is the most associated with the word modding.

it's only in this Panerai where you can find member s coming up with CG, crowns, cyclops, DWs! Sure there are other brands that do have modding but mostly with ETA parts or gen parts. Only in Panerai do you see such dedication! little by little, this has renewed my interest in this brand. I have made my first Panerai Rep purchase of a Pam 252 Arktos! Also bought a V CG, T Crowns ( don't care if its 48, 52 or 60 teeths, still beautiful) and currently awaiting a lello DW. all these will go the the Pam 252 to make it look even better!

Now I am itching to get a historic or base model, 111H or 112 comes to mind. Can I ask the experrts to please chime in on how to get started. I may be over ambitious but I wanted to get a super-modded one! For this, I blame all the members here for all their postings which has made me unable to accept a out of the box rep anymore :D

I intend to get another V CG, I have a T Crown. That takes care of the CG bit, now I understand that the dials are a problem especially the L Swiss L under the 6. DSN has been touted as having the best rep dial. Is that true and if so, would it fit the rep case of say a base Pam from Puretime or Trustytime? I ask this as I understand the V CG will most likely not be able to fit a DSN case. So I would really be grateful for any advice on where or how I should start.

Sorry for the long post and hope that the experts here really help on this! Thanks!

mwee - welcome to the modders club. You have a bunch of questions - but here are my own personal suggestions:

1. Go for 6497 model which has a closed case back. There is no movement which looks like the real thing in a PAM - as the engraving is always pretty bad.

2. The dials are all bad. There is another thread here where there is a member who is attempting to have more accurate dials made. I believe that the 111H dial and perhaps one other are being contemplated.

For me - I have a project that I have been working towards for nearly a year. I have a full jimmyfu case and all of the fixings. I am trying to decide what to make out of it. My first inclination is an 001B (which is what Jimmy used to model his case after in the first place). There does not seem to be a great 001B dial (the best still has low cross bar "A"'s. So I am contemplating something else.

Best of luck.