When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Putting a cyclops on double AR

sssurfer

As some of you may already know, on a couple of past occasions I had troubles on applying a cyclops on double AR coated crystals. The acetone I used to remove the excess of glue damaged, even if slightly, the AR coat.

I now found a safe glue + solvent combination.

The main thing is to use alcohol instead of acetone. Alcohol looked completely safe on double AR coat.

The second thing is to use a glue that can get easily removed with alcohol. I found that the AF Minad glue perfectly fits the need.

afminaduvgluehg4.jpg

This is an UV glue that cures in just a few seconds under UV light (or, as they say, under strong sunlight).

While the glue between the cyclops and the crystal becomes as hard as rock, any excess of glue unavoidabily remained around the cyclops stays quite soft (this is a miracle I have no explaination for, I suppose it depends on the glue staying in touch with air). Then it can get easily removed with a toothpick drenched in alcohol, then refining everything with a cloth wet with alcohol.

Btw, a very inexpensive (7.95 GBP), handy, effective, and eye-safe UV source to cure the glue is this "UV diamond torch" from cousinsuk. On past occasions I used a tanning UV lamp, but now that I discovered it I am only using it:

uvminitorchts8.jpg

Perhaps I can finally finish my PAM048 "Ultimate Project"!

Are you putting a double AR crystal on a 048, DuDro?

I would like to apply double-AR at a high temp and then apply the cyclops.

Thanks. I asked as I believed I was the only one willing to sacrify accuracy (single AR) to aesthetic (double AR) on PAMs. :blink:

@chieftang: thanks for your aprreciation, B!

So, glad that the crystal you gave me for my solvent/glue tests was worth. :D

Oh is that the Jimmy Fu? Are you using it on a watch?

Yes... it will be a surprise... my most loved watch, in a new case and with that crystal. ;)Doubly ;) ;) inaccurate, but stunning!

Just, it is at my watchsmith now, as I messed the keyless work with all those remove-and-reinstall... and my watchsmith takes aeons... :(