When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Modding a Pam ARKTOS GMT

W. N. Mates

I couldn't quite understand why anyone would want to spend money on upgrading a rep, until I received my Arktos GMT! A really smart watch, on a great shark strap, and I haven't taken it off during the day since I got it. There are a couple of things that could be improved (maybe more, but I haven't noticed them yet) - the crown guard doesn't sit flush to the case, the bezel rattles, and the edges of the letters and markers on the bezel are sharp and catch on clothing.

My question is - can anyone tell me who might be able to fix these small problems in UK or Europe (I really don't want any Customs hassles now I've got the watch into UK). I don't know what the movement is, but it works fine at the moment, and the GMT too - I might want to see if it can be changed to an ETA 2836 or 2892 if that is possible, depending on what it would cost.

If anyone can help me out with some advice here, I'd be very grateful. :)

These are a nice rep.. but you're right, they do need some work to bring up to standard. Heres some tips..

The bezel markers are fiddly to do, you really need to remove them (just glued) and gently smooth the edges, then re-glue with decent adgesive (JB Weld is good). The current glue is not strong and they fall out soon enough if you don't re glue them

The crown guards on Arktos are usually rubbish.. no idea why. Best to fit another. I used a V "h" series.

The bezel has a click spring under formed from flat stainless, the bezel is held in place with an octagonal wire spring. Its bloody hard to remove the bezel (I havn;t managed so far). If you could remove it then you could make a heavier spring.. but very tricky.. maybe best to just live with this one.

The movement is a 7750. You can't swap this to and ETA. Service the current movement, its fine.

Hope that helps..