When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT IIc Date Mags

JohnG

I have ordered an Asian ICHS and would like to have AR on the mag. I have read all of the threads from July by Lanikai on the GMTIIc date mag AR runs... but I have a few questions.

1. I see several references to a genuine date mag for the GMTIIc - but my understanding it was mineral crystal and thus not suitable for Chief

Very good Idea. I think someone should organize another group AR run for the date mags. I'm sure a lot of members (including myself) would be very interested.

And a lot more members have this rep now.

With this mod it would be undistinguished from Gen.

My recollection is that the savings for the group run was only about 10-15 bucks - so I would almost rather do it on my own to avoid the long wait, logistical problems, late payers, etc... but I would love to know the answers to the questions above because they are key to doing this mod right...

ANY HELP? Lanikai? Chief?

Lanikai bought the mags from an Ebay source? They had to be purchased installed on a crystal and then removed which was harder than anticipated especially in bulk quantity.

He tested them and proved them to be in fact Sapphire.

I am not sure if anyone ever removed the rep mag, but it was feared that they were mineral crystal and would not work for the AR coating.

Lanikai invested a considerable number of hours to make this happen:

The board really benefits from members like Lanikai, he showed amazing patience and determination to finish this deal.

1.) there were numerous small problems and questions along the way which I think tested Lanikai - the seller was a jerk to begin with

2.) not as many members participated, so the overall numbers were lower than expected

3.) the amount of work was not something I would think he would want to put in again

Although #2 may be solved by another group run, #1 and #3 will likely prevent another member or Lanikai from ever attempting this again.

On his posts you could follow the same steps on your own and get it done, the cost really was not the main issue.

Mag would have to be sapphire to work.

A few of us including myself got them back recently from Cheiftang but no one I have seen has installed the new mag yet.

Have to remove the rep mag first of course.

I also bought a gen bezel not sure if it will fit, but I now have some work to be done obviously.

Cheers,

M

Lanikai bought the mags from an Ebay source? They had to be purchased installed on a crystal and then removed which was harder than anticipated especially in bulk quantity.

He tested them and proved them to be in fact Sapphire.

I am not sure if anyone ever removed the rep mag, but it was feared that they were mineral crystal and would not work for the AR coating.

Thanks M!

Fortunately a member who got his mag back from Chieftang but had sold his GMTIIc offered to sell me his for what it cost him. It is shipping today.

I was mainly curious if anyone knew if the rep mag was sapphire - that would be interesting to know - perhaps when I take mine off I will have it tested at a jeweler. If it is sapphire, that would save the step of having to buy another crystal.

At some point I will need to see about how to replace the mag - I haven