When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

stuck replacing the PAM 212 crystal

JJFlash

The whole crystal on my 212 broke out of the watch couple months ago.

I have sourced a couple crystals for replacement but I am stuck trying to figure out how to get the remaining crystal out.

The movement came out easily enough.

The two pushers seem to be in the way next and I can't figure out if these really need to come out.

I can't even figure out how to get the last reminants of the crystal out either.

Nothing to push on with the crystal press with the crystal broke out.

Really stuck on this one guys.

Any thoughts?

No need to remove anything but the movement. Since you have done this, now the hard part begins...

If I remember correctly, the crystal is attached to the bezel on this one, you need to remove the bezel from the case, it makes it easier to do the next step. If you can't remove the bezel, it may be a bit of a problem getting the rest of the crystal out.

Once I have the bezel and broken crystal out, I put on heavy leather gloves, eye protection, and lay down a layer of paper towels to catch the glass shards. Remember that the remaining part of the crystal is under tension. I get a pair of wire cutters, and with the bezel facing me, I insert the cutters from below into the center of the bezel and carefully crush/break up the remaining crystal pieces. It is not easy to get the glass out and you have to keep working at in... Be careful not to damage the compression ring, since you need it for the new crystal.

Not sure how clear this is, but I think it gives you a general idea of what how I do it.

RG

Thank you Rob.

Just how do I go about removing the bezel/crystal from the case?

Can't find a good inside the case lip to properly pry it off.

My first Pam broken crystal replacement attempt.

Damn these broken crystals are very sharp!

Cut my finger already just pulling the movement.

Wonder how many Band-Aids this project will require?

Appreciate the advice.

I don't think this model has a notch cut into the bezel to allow a case knife to fit and pry it off. I use my Horotec bezel remover to get them off, but without something similar you may have problems, I DON"T recommend razor blades or box cutter knives, far too risky to really hurt yourself.

If you can't get the bezel off, you can still get the broken pieces out by breaking them up with a flat blade screwdriver and small taps from a hammer, no matter how you go about it, it's not easy or fun and not without risk...I hate doing these.

RG

Thank you again Rob,

My watch tool inventory continues to grow at the same pace as my watch collection.

Buy a watch - buy a tool or two.

Looks like my next purchase is the Horotec bezel remover - $$$!

I read somewhere these are prone to scratch the case?

Must be some secret to prevent this from happening.

Otto Frei and I are becoming too good of friends these days!

Yes the Horotec bezel remover is expensive, but when you need one, it's irreplaceable.

It's almost impossible to not get any scratches when your trying to pry a bezel off with the knife blades of a remover, as long as you carefully position the case in the tool and carefully tighten it down so the knife blades sit between the bezel and case I find that the scratches are minimal to non existant.

You can put a bit of tape on the case, but I find that this will move the blades up slightly and not allow them to fit in the gap between the case and bezel, so I don't tape the case.

I also polished my blades to a mirror finish to reduce the scratching.

Tools, especially good ones, will always pay for themselves over the long run.

RG