When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need Guidance

I've played with enough 6497 PAMS, time to venture onto other calibers. I'm really liking the GMT and Power Reserve Models. I've read most of what's on this board. The general consensus seems to be that the 2892/2 is a good automatic caliber, but requires heavy modification depending on the application. I'm still confused on the Power Reserve differences, the one at 5 and the one at 6, what is the difference? Is there a positions of the PR that is better because no modification of the movement is needed? And the GMT, I know it uses at 2893 caliber, but I get confused on what it means to jump to time versus sweeping? Please excuse my ignorance. I appreciate any guidance given.

2892/2 with the SOPROD modul gives you the PR at 6 - the PR at 5 on the reps is accomplished with an Asian movement can't be done with 2892/2, the originals are based on a modified Valjoux7750-P1.

The 2893 was used in older PAM's with center second e.g. PAM63 the newer Luminor models with small seconds at 9 use a 7750 and the Radiomir 184 uses a JLC movement; I also believe that the jump is refering to the GMT hand advancing from 1 hour to the next in one step rather than gradually

Hope that answers your questions ;-)

Edited by lovepanerai

The power reserve PAM 27 and 28 uses the ETA 2892-A2 movt which shares 95% of it's parts with the ETA 2893 movt but with a Soprod power reserve module fitted. This is far from a modification but an add on part made by another company (Soprod). This is the same as in the genuine model. I am not sure what is used in the other configurations.

The 2893-2 is specifically a GMT movt. This means it is designed from the outset to have a GMT 4th hand which tracks around with the hour hand. When setting the GMT time the hand jumps around the dial. The 2836 type GMT simply has a wheel for the day as well as date and this wheel has a GMY hand fitted to it instead of the date disc - it does almost the same thing but is not fitted to the gen.