When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Kazi's new Computer build

alphakazi

How would I know? I have no use for a luthier. None of my guitars ever broke. Aside strings, frets and potentiometers that wear that anyone can repair themselves, what 'breaks'? Maybe cheap guitars and the violas of 'thrash' violaists ? I would not know. :)

Luthier is not a repairman, actually. Luthier is an Artist - designer, creator and builder.

It is correct and incorrect. Can you compare Patek Philippe designers and watchsmith in Thailand?

Yes. The same way I gauge 'Golfers'. By height.

Gibson?????????????? You play on this crap????????????? Shame, shame...

And, by the way, absolutely all "Gibsons" and "Fenders", that guys like Clapton and Page plays - were built by Luthiers.

I think you are conflicted. Page's '59 Cherry Sunburst (his favorite and signature guitar) was owned and gifted Page by Joe Walsh after gigs at the Filmore West in 1969. It was a Standard production line model.

Besides; how about Keith Richards, Carlos Santana or Al Di Miola? Because they all played and raved about my Custom L6S you see hanging on the wall. I've owned it since new 1975. Keith plays that guitar (and others) in the film "Let's Spend the Night Together". I tried to YouTube the concert segment he plays the L6S in for effect, but no joy. You can rent it at Blockbuster though.

Carlos.jpg

This could be a fun hi-jack of Alpha's thread, but not if you are going to stand by; Only 'one off' hand made guitars are worth something and can be considered true 'instruments'. The notion's 'elitism' is only overshadowed by it's 'foolishness'. :)

Edited by Chancellor

Yes. The same way I gauge 'Golfers'. By height.

I think you are conflicted. Page's '59 Cherry Sunburst (his favorite and signature guitar) was owned and gifted Page by Joe Walsh after gigs at the Filmore West in 1969. It was a Standard production line model.

Besides; how about Keith Richards, Carlos Santana or Al Di Miola? Because they all played and raved about my Custom L6S you see hanging on the wall. I've owned it since new 1975. Keith plays that guitar (and others) in the film "Let's Spend the Night Together". I tried to YouTube the concert segment he plays the L6S in for effect, but no joy. You can rent it at Blockbuster though.

This could be a fun hi-jack of Alpha's thread, but not if you are going to stand by; Only 'one off' hand made guitars are worth something and can be considered true 'instruments'. The notion's 'elitism' is only overshadowed by it's 'foolishness'. :)

Wrong, wrong and wrong. I can tell you the name of Luthier, who built Jimmy's Les Pauls(yes, Jimmy has few "factory made" LP's too), and I can tell you exactly, who built Al's guitars, and Keith guitars, and absolutely all Carlos's PRS made by hands of 2 great Luthiers in Paul's workshop.

I personally know all of them, and I built many custom guitars for same level musicians. You're talking with professional, Dem.

You are God in watches, no doubt about it, but, please, Lutherie is not your field.

If you promise to keep a secret- I can give you my website. Then you'll know lil bit more what I'm talking about. And, yes, let's not hijack Kazi thread, and stop it right here.

Edited by Luthier

You are God in watches

This is not the case. Rather, more to your point;

Wrong, wrong and wrong.

To my point;

I will concede, that all the named guitarists in this thread, have been romanced by guitar makers with 'custom' editions to endorse their products. That is well and aside the point, and to your admission; successful musicians need not a 'fine' instrument to succeed, as Mssr. Page entertains 'factory made' instruments on his records, to his success, and too, not moot to my premise; "It 'aint the meat, it is the motion". The 'Danelectro' to the case, unless you feel "Kashmir" is a failure.

Suffice, any crappy Mexican Fender Squire in the hands of a musician, a true musician, not a 'virtuoso' by requisite, will play great music. A 'fine' guitar by your description is therefore superfluous to the end result. Ergo, you indeed "weave expensive rugs that lie hidden in the foyers of celebrities and on record". That is; I've heard of 'Gibson', and even if you PM me the name of your true personna, I will not know you and further, and I will not care save; "Les Paul? Is that you? No?" I do not care. Sorry. I play the instrument, but would rather know Bo Diddley.

To, and more, my point, Bo Diddley played guitars of his own design. To your 'standards' they would be considered; 'junk'. Yet he staged an era with his 'sound' and a playing you can not deny. Regardless of your trying.

Nice watch though.

To, and more, my point, Bo Diddley played guitars of his own design. To your 'standards' they would be considered; 'junk'. Yet he staged an era with his 'sound' and a playing you can not deny. Regardless of your trying.

Nice watch though.

OK, now you prove that you don't know the difference between Luthier's creation and factory made guitars.

Hundreds of times people brought me their $6000 Custom shop LP's right from Guitar Center, because it wasn't a playable instruments - buzz all over freatboard, sharp frets ends, muddy pickups sound, etc, etc, etc. The difference is in details. Factory can't afford to dress every fret ends, level it to 2mm action on 14th fret, and wound pickups by hands. Such a guitar will cost $10K, and will require close attention of at least 3-4 highly skilled workers. So, your Mexican made Strat would be OK guitar ONLY after complete redressing, changing the neck shape and rewinding or replacing pickups. I'm not even talking about wood. All this junk is made from God-knows-what-wood-pieces-glued-together, and still green. Out of the store is is a junk. Period.

Luthiers use 10-15 years old wood, and, as you ,OFCOURSE, know - tone of the guitar is determined mostly by wood.

And, by the way, Bo's quitars were made by Luthiers in Gibson Custom Shop. Never reached a mass-production level.

Yes, my Sub is nice, next should be Daytona TT, white face. If, ofcourse, I'll find one with seconds on 9, but I guess it's hopeless. Maybe you know the source? I'll be very thankful.

Besides, it's not the tools, it's the artist.

Suffice, any crappy Mexican Fender Squire in the hands of a musician, a true musician, not a 'virtuoso' by requisite, will play great music.

It's the same if you'd say - I don't care, in what hole I plug in my johnson... orgasm is the goal.

Most people do care.

That's why any great musician has a collection of hundreds of guitars.

By the way, following you- why don't you wear $25 Timex?

:p

Aside strings, frets and potentiometers that wear that anyone can repair themselves, what 'breaks'? Maybe cheap guitars and the violas of 'thrash' violaists ?

I'll tell you what breaks.... the neck of my 1976 Les Paul Custom right where it meets the headstock. Well, it's not broken, but cracked. The guitar had been set on the floor and a friend stepped on it. :(

I'll tell you what breaks.... the neck of my 1976 Les Paul Custom right where it meets the headstock. Well, it's not broken, but cracked. The guitar had been set on the floor and a friend stepped on it. :(

You will tell me...

:D:D:D

I will tell you! Do you know how many LP's headstocks I glued back because of this weak point?

Luthier will make neck/head conjunction with volute, then you can dance on it.

Take a look.

12-1.jpg

OK, now you prove that you don't know the difference between Luthier's creation and factory made guitars.

No, you're not following my premise Luthier, I certainly do know the difference, I'm not saying there is no difference, I'm just saying; It is not necessary to go to such lengths to enjoy playing the, any, instrument, or is the attention of a luthier on a stock model necessary to bring it out of the 'crap' category into the 'instrument' category, which is what you seem to be saying. Which is your opinion, which is fine, but it is not mine. Because you disagree with me does not make me 'wrong'.

This entire discussion was brought about by your blanket statements;

Gibson?????????????? You play on this crap????????????? Shame, shame...

Gosh... Takamine...

Cheap, cheap, cheap...

which were simply rude, elitist and ignorant and to the point of internet discourse; trolling. And instead of apologizing and more to my point; through the blinders of your elitism you do not see the need for an apology but have been merely back peddling on those statements from your high horse as being a 'luthier' to cover up your clumsy rudeness; "Guitars from stores are crap and junk. Well, unless, of course I get my hands on them. Then they are suddenly 'instruments' worth owning -_- ". Oh bullsh*t.

You seem to see the instrument as the ends to the means. It is not. To me. The music is. You and your trade are not inclusive to the latter, it is entirely exclusive.

To quote Pete Townshend on the matter of guitars and the act of smashing them. "I just play the guitar, I don't bloody go home at night and polish the damn things." To which you will undoubtedly see past the content of the statement and will predictably note; "Yes Dems but did you know that all Townshend's guitars were set up by master luthiers? I know them all personally. You do not know of what you speak."

To which I will just 'sigh' one last time and let you have the last word on the subject. :p

To quote Pete Townshend on the matter of guitars and the act of smashing them. "I just play the guitar, I don't bloody go home at night and polish the damn things." To which you will undoubtedly see past the content of the statement and will predictably note; "Yes Dems but did you know that all Townshend's guitars were set up by master luthiers? I know them all personally. You do not know of what you speak."

To which I will just 'sigh' one last time and let you have the last word on the subject. :p

1. You definitely lost your sense of humor, cuz it was a joke (crap, crap, crap). I love ANY guitar, doesn't matter what it is.

2. Pete...who? Oh... yeah... WHO... Well... I never considered him as a guitar player, nor a talented musician, I have thousands of CDs and vynils, but no WHO in my collection, because they never created even one masterpiece, but again - it's my personal opinion.

Anyway, in one thing you're right - music is the most important thing. Rest is crap.

And let's finish it.

You better tell me where I can buy reliable Tona.

:D:D:D

I love ANY guitar, doesn't matter what it is.

A well disguised sentiment.

Out of the store is is a junk. Period.

:)

Ok Luthier, I will concede. I have made my subjective case. AllergyDoc made the comment recently on RWG that "Demsey" attacks the 'sayer' not the premise. Maybe, but it's difficult to get a typed reaction from, and reason with, an 'idea'. I have no problem with you, to the contrary.

As far as a 'reliable' late model Daytona, like a 'safe' financial investment, it simply does not exist. You are on the right track considering the 16520 seconds @ 9 and with a high beat Asian 7750, or, if you are willing to spend the $ true ETA 7750, you may find the odds to your favor. But there, be prepared to accept it's glaring subdial flaws with regard to spacing and lateral position to dial center. A better route is the vintage 6263 with SeaGull faux tri-compax movement with hours @ 6 subdial hand frozen in the reset/12:00 position. I have tried the 116520 with seconds @ 6 twice with only short term joy. To put it in terms you may understand; you would have better luck ordering a Les Paul from "Musician's Friend", and after it's FedEx journey to your door find it of excellent factory action. Regardless, all these watches can be sourced from Joshua, and many, many others.........................

As far as a 'reliable' late model Daytona, like a 'safe' financial investment, it simply does not exist. You are on the right track considering the 16520 seconds @ 9 and with a high beat Asian 7750, or, if you are willing to spend the $ true ETA 7750, you may find the odds to your favor. But there, be prepared to accept it's glaring subdial flaws with regard to spacing and lateral position to dial center. A better route is the vintage 6263 with SeaGull faux tri-compax movement with hours @ 6 subdial hand frozen in the reset/12:00 position. I have tried the 116520 with seconds @ 6 twice with only short term joy. To put it in terms you may understand; you would have better luck ordering a Les Paul from "Musician's Friend", and after it's FedEx journey to your door find it of excellent factory action. Regardless, all these watches can be sourced from Joshua, and many, many others.........................

That's the point!!! Everyone loves Daytona, and everyone complaining about A7750 adds that make seconds @6. I've read tons of posts, that the watch die after a few weeks. And nobody sell Tona with Swiss 7750. I searched all dealers.

A question - anyone modified 21j for Daytona? I really, really love this mov't. Recently I bought YM, being in Guangzhou, for $45, and a month ago I bought DayDate with swiss ETA, and I don't see any difference in quality. A week ago I got my Sub TT with swiss ETA, and again - 21j works as perfect as swiss ETA movt's. In the last few years they make fantastic progress in movements quality. I bought many reps years ago, with full charge they work 12-14 hours. New 21j- around 40 hours, same as swiss ETA.

Oh, well... All I know- I want Daytona...

About FedEx - once I shipped $12,000 archtop in hardshell case to the customer, and he recieved completely smashed guitar. Case and shipping box were not damaged at all. Miracle? Worst thing was - it was just once, when I forgot to insure shipment. I guess you can imagine my condition...