When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Backpacking/Hiking in Thailand

edgematic

I'm planning a holiday in September '09. We're with 4 guys, all about 20 years old and we love backpacking and hiking. Our destination: Thailand.

Why? Well, we have been in love with its nature, culture, diversity etc. (and offcourse I was thinking about a new rep.) Also the price of the flight isn't that high and overthere it's much cheaper.

My question to you: Has anyone allready had an experience like this in Thailand? What places would you advice to go to?

I have been reading a bit about some places and these are some I was thinking about:

- Chiang Mai

- hike from Pai to Mae Hong Song

- Khao Sok National Park

- Phuket

- Ko Phi-Phi

- Ko Tarutao Marine National Park

- Ayuthaya

I think with these places we can see a big part of the country. Am I right? How many days should you suggest to go there? 14? 21?

We're landing in Bangkok and I thought we should take 4 days to explore the city. Is that enough or not?

I hope some of you can help me a bit on this one.

Best regards!

at least 21 days.....

you have pretty much selected the most overcrowded spots as far as I see this... b

but Ko Phi Phi is beautiful :)

Avoid Patong Beach @ Phuket.. nothing great there really.

Hehe, well actually I'm looking for some places that are just not overcrowded. But these places seem to be a must when you visit Thailand, no? Our plan is to stay about 4 days in Bangkok, hike for about 4-5 days, find a place to chill (for example ko phi phi), and so on.

Should I plan a lot before I go there? Because last year I went to Marokko, didn't plan a thing and we saw a lot of terrific places, saved a lot of money.

Thanks for the tip about Patong Beach