When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Watch Do Wear When You Go On The Road…

Usil

I have a job that requires me to travel from time to time and I just realized that when I go, most of the time I put on my 45mm Planet Ocean (orange bezel). I have 18 reps and 1 on order and I like wearing the PO when I go away from home for a few days.

It just feels right. Excellent comfort (one of the biggest reasons), not too heavy, good readability and pretty to look at. I have worn others in the past but stopped. The bretling band is not as comfortable, my PAMs sometimes feel too heavy, tried the Rolex Sub and it felt good on the wrist too but just too small. I have worn the IWC Big Pilot and liked that and I have worn the F. A .Jones which I also like but I still come back to the PO. It just seems to have everything going for it. I am on the road today in Bormio, Italy - high in the Italian Alps and guess what – it is the PO.

When I am not on the road, I usually wear a PAM or Breitling Chrono Avenger or the Jones. Anyone else find a favorite they prefer for travel? Is it different when you stay home?

Usil

Edited by Usil

I rely on my AP Royal Oak 15300 when I travel, and it was the only genuine watch I brought with me on my trip to Hong Kong, because it is low-key enough while being prestige and recognizable to WIS, although the finish is quite delicate, but the movement is the reliable and accurate.

I have a job that requires me to travel from time to time . . . When I am not on the road, I usually wear a PAM or Breitling Chrono Avenger or the Jones. Anyone else find a favorite they prefer for travel? Is it different when you stay home?

Usil

When I travel domestically, I always take three watches, wearing one and two in a small padded travel case in my carry-on bag. I usually take a Sub or SD, PVD Pam 28, and something ridiculously extravagant like a rose gold Patek Philippe.

When I travel internationally, it's completely different, because I don't know what the laws are for wherever I'll be, and I am pretty sure that wherever that is, it would be frowned upon for me to punch out some clown that tried to seize one of my watches.

I have a gen Ollech & Wajs valjoux chrono, and various other gens that I take - but if I do take extras, I like to take a pic of my kids holding them before I leave and put it in my case. I've never had a question, but I am not going to pay to import my own watch just because I cannot prove I had it before I left.

Frankly, I'd like to travel with one of my favorite reps on international trips - has anyone had any experience with that? I will be interviewing a Swiss financier next month, and I'd like to wear Swiss reps if I knew I could get away with it, just because I'd get a perverse kick out of that.

Anyone know about how the Swiss treat visitors.

Bill

I am an American living in france (Paris) and I travel to Switzerland, Italy, Spain and Germany and have never had any issues with my PAMs, Breitlings, IWC's or any other thought I most often where just the PO now. None of the airports have ever stopped me at customs. In fact, I do not know who they stop because I have never seen anyone stoppped in the past three years I have been traveling in Europe.

For those reading this thread - Has anyone been stopped by customs???

Usil