When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I Hate It !

djtimodj

I wear my new Breitling round to my girlfreinds house for dinner last nite. I love my new watch. we eat dinner untill her step dad says thats a nice watch! i take it of and hand it to him he looks at it and says thats realy nice. i told him it was a rep and how much i paid for it and he and my girlfreinds brother said Oh my god! you could have got a good watch for that much money!!

It really [censored]'s me of coz they just heard it was a replica and just thought it was crap straght away!

any one else have this problem ??

Tim.

I wear my new Breitling round to my girlfreinds house for dinner last nite. I love my new watch. we eat dinner untill her step dad says thats a nice watch! i take it of and hand it to him he looks at it and says thats realy nice. i told him it was a rep and how much i paid for it and he and my girlfreinds brother said Oh my god! you could have got a good watch for that much money!!

It really [censored]'s me of coz they just heard it was a replica and just thought it was crap straght away!

Tim.

Yep but perhaps you might introduce it as something other than a replica to begin with. Replica says "Canal Street" and quartz powered Rolex to just about everyone. I tell everyone who asks that it's "a high fidelity, swiss mechanical movement copy" and that it's "nearly indistinguishable from the genuine". I make sure I describe the rarity of such 99% accurate reproductions. This usually creates intrigue and interest. "Just how does one get one of these" is usually where the conversation goes next.

Yep but perhaps you might introduce it as something other than a replica to begin with. Replica says "Canal Street" and quartz powered Rolex to just about everyone. I tell everyone who asks that it's "a high fidelity, swiss mechanical movement copy" and that it's "nearly indistinguishable from the genuine". I make sure I describe the rarity of such 99% accurate reproductions. This usually creates intrigue and interest. "Just how does one get one of these" is usually where the conversation goes next.

I do the same thing and agree that what we have here are very special pieces that deserve a different name than "fake" or "replica". I keep being asked about my 196 (Swiss 7753) and my standard positioning is that quality like this can not be had at any of the street markets all over the world that sell replicas, and that the watch is like the original, it just happens to be assembled by somebody else than Panerai :D

Tim.

I never have that problem because whenever I go to your girlfriends house for dinner, I always wear one of my gens. Her dad really likes my Sothis "spirit of the moon". :D

My advice is to say: "It's a collector's piece" and "you just don't want to know the price"...then change the subject. If a great replica, nobody would mind and they'll keep on wondering...

Regards and enjoy the 'collector's piece" :lol:

Alex

Tim.

My brother in law has a genuine Daytona and a fake Daytona, a really cheap one with day-date subdials. He saw the Swiss movement one I had, and he was amazed by it. He asked me how much, I told him the price for the Asian version, which was US$200 and he burst out saying "What the hell, I don't care if the chronograph works, for that kind of money I could have gotten a Seiko"

My brother in law has a genuine Daytona and a fake Daytona, a really cheap one with day-date subdials. He saw the Swiss movement one I had, and he was amazed by it. He asked me how much, I told him the price for the Asian version, which was US$200 and he burst out saying "What the hell, I don't care if the chronograph works, for that kind of money I could have gotten a Seiko"

Sounds like a class act :D