When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine Panerai date wheel ...

wheaton26

it is constantly posted on rwg how poor the panerai date wheels are on reps. someone recently mentioned that if they had a scan of a genuine date wheel, that they might be able to make stickers to go over top of the current one. well ... here it is (see attached image below). i'm putting it out there for someone to step up and accept the challenge. i think it would be a great opportunity for someone and could be a profitable little side business. i only ask for 49%. lol. let me know what you think as i can not add any further knowledge into this. all the best.

it is constantly posted on rwg how poor the panerai date wheels are on reps. someone recently mentioned that if they had a scan of a genuine date wheel, that they might be able to make stickers to go over top of the current one. well ... here it is (see attached image below). i'm putting it out there for someone to step up and accept the challenge. i think it would be a great opportunity for someone and could be a profitable little side business. i only ask for 49%. lol. let me know what you think as i can not add any further knowledge into this. all the best.

Good stuff! i could get it printed out nicely, but the question is i guess, how to get the numbers to align in the exact same position to the teeth! dont want any dates that are " chopped off" by the date window...

It's no good just printing this out willy nilly!!!! This datewheel is for the new in house PAM 8 day triple barrel movt - so what would you have done with it!!!

All datewheels for all the PAMs (7753, 7750, 2893 and 2892A2) are currently being dealt with through me and other members. We have already extensively tried to do stickers and in most cases they won't work without you removing a lot of material from the wheel to accomodate the thickness of the sticker. We are talking gnats pube size clearances here. You have been advised!!!

i saved it as a bmp and jpg. here is the bmp file ... that's the best i can do unless you have any further suggestions? feel free to pm me.

awesome! ok i will try printing it out and see if its any good! i dont have the watch expertise to be able to replace the original date wheel though...

do u noe if the wheel is exactly the same for both the eta 2836 and 2893?

awesome! ok i will try printing it out and see if its any good! i dont have the watch expertise to be able to replace the original date wheel though...

do u noe if the wheel is exactly the same for both the eta 2836 and 2893?

Did you just read or ignore my last post?? It will not work the way you are attemtping to do this and you will end up [censored]ing your watch if not careful. This date wheel is not for these movts anyway.

settle down finepics, he was probably writing his message at the same time you were posting yours. i didn't realize that you and other members have been spending a lot of time on this issue. i just happen to come across the date wheel, so i scanned it to see if it was any use to anyone. you are right, it is from an 8 days watch. not taking into consideration what you said about the thickness, a circle is a circle ... if it was re-sized properly, wouldn't it work on anything? anyway, this is why i usually stay out of the watch repair and upgrade threads.

settle down finepics, he was probably writing his message at the same time you were posting yours. i didn't realize that you and other members have been spending a lot of time on this issue. i just happen to come across the date wheel, so i scanned it to see if it was any use to anyone. you are right, it is from an 8 days watch. not taking into consideration what you said about the thickness, a circle is a circle ... if it was re-sized properly, wouldn't it work on anything? anyway, this is why i usually stay out of the watch repair and upgrade threads.

Sorry - was not meaning to jump - just concerned that watches might get damaged like this as it's not a simple thing to even remove the datewheel in the first place.

actually whats more important is the font of the date wheel..

i can print out an existing gmt 63 date wheel, scan the "rep" date wheel into the PC, and then use some computer software to overlay the "thicker" numerals exactly on to the fake rep datewheel...

then print it out! that might just work..

Get up wrong side of bed FP? I think your reaction did come across as quite aggressive - not sure why you felt the need to defend your business in this way, you don't have a monopoly on datewheel production!

We all know you've been slaving away and perservering for a while with the 2893 wheels, and I'm sure we all appreciate the benefit of your experiments and the pitfalls of getting these little buggers working.

Wheaton is just graciously offering a hi-res scan to perhaps help others out there who may be able to progess this project independently of your experiments - I think that's commendable and part of the information-sharing ethos this board is supposed to be founded on. Maybe you don't agree? :g:

actually whats more important is the font of the date wheel..

i can print out an existing gmt 63 date wheel, scan the "rep" date wheel into the PC, and then use some computer software to overlay the "thicker" numerals exactly on to the fake rep datewheel...

then print it out! that might just work..

Sprockett - it's good of you to help but if you read through the previous posts on this you will see that I am in the process of making new 2893 datewheels printed on a Pad printing machine. I have, with another member here, already purchased a stock of 100 wheels which are away at the printers being done now - I am hoping that they will be ready within a few weeks but there have been delays while we work through some technical problems with the ongoing 7753 wheels.

A year ago I experimented with exactly what you are trying (this was over at the old RWG) and while it would seem a relatively simple thing it failed which is why we are in the process of making these properly as really there is no successful way to do this other than have a printed datewheel to start with. Do you really want a piece of photo paper in a watch or the proper thing? . Trust me - this has been a year long project of mine with many many hours spent in Photoshop CS2 and Adobe Illustrator and with the correct font etc and many failures.

Get up wrong side of bed FP? I think your reaction did come across as quite aggressive - not sure why you felt the need to defend your business in this way, you don't have a monopoly on datewheel production!

We all know you've been slaving away and perservering for a while with the 2893 wheels, and I'm sure we all appreciate the benefit of your experiments and the pitfalls of getting these little buggers working.

Wheaton is just graciously offering a hi-res scan to perhaps help others out there who may be able to progess this project independently of your experiments - I think that's commendable and part of the information-sharing ethos this board is supposed to be founded on. Maybe you don't agree? :g:

Oh good grief - I am not having a go at anyone. Certainly I would be very [censored] off if those people who have already committed to buy one back out (as has happened many times) because a huge amount of my time and quite a lot of money has already been spent getting this far - but it's got nothing to do with that. It was simply a case of not realising that we had posted simultaneously - I though he had seen my post.

Have a go by all means. Here are some pics of my previous efforts:

98918-26675.jpg

98918-26676.jpg

It failed because there are such fine tolerances involved in the mechanism that to find paper thick enough to print accurately onto but thin enough to clear the mechanism was impossible. These were DVD labels and it meant shaving the thickness ot the wheel down to half (so removing the original numbers) to allow for the thickness of the paper. And as it is paper bits could snag in the teeth of the gears and jam the movt - and this is why I am trying to save him a great deal of wasted effort and possible ruining a movt (as I did my 7753 which now has no datewheel.

I see where u r coming from finepics... no worries... your work is greatly appreciated... I will definitely not back out on my datewheel order... I am ready to jump on it as a matter of fact... I have not worn my watch for quite a while and will not wear it till I get all the parts in and have it 99%

Oh good grief - I am not having a go at anyone. Certainly I would be very [censored] off if those people who have already committed to buy one back out (as has happened many times) because a huge amount of my time and quite a lot of money has already been spent getting this far

Fair enough, and I guess I understand your anger and frustration if members have left you high and dry - I remember Lello experienced something similar and just jacked the whole thing in and walked away.

woah finepics, sorry did not realize that you were already almost thru with this!

haha as usual, things arent EVER as simple as i think they are...

anyway great that u've broken the ground regarding the GMT eta date wheels! thanks for that!

would the 2893 wheels work on a 2836 as well?

woah finepics, sorry did not realize that you were already almost thru with this!

haha as usual, things arent EVER as simple as i think they are...

anyway great that u've broken the ground regarding the GMT eta date wheels! thanks for that!

would the 2893 wheels work on a 2836 as well?

Hey Sprockett - I really was not intending to be short with you - I think I'm turning into a grumpy old man!!!

I need to check this as I think the 2836 is a different type - they look the same but the 2836 has a slightly sloping surface. No plans to do it as of yet - got too much on with the ones we are making now as there are currently 3 types on the go but if they are a success then it might be feasible to think about the 2836 as well. Again like the 2983 the parts are available in advance.

For those who have been around these forums for a bit we have seen this movie a number of times before. Unsuspecting person with best of intentions says this should be easy. Unfortunately it never is. Issues include:

- thickness of medium,

- quality of print

- ability to line up all numbers evenly,

- attachment methodology such that anyone can line up correctly on the wheel - with or without adhesive (what if you have to shift, etc)

- fading issues of underlying medium

- etc.

By the way, I have plenty of them if you want one from past attempts. They don't line up and don't fit either.

Even on the datewheels there have been past failed projects. Poor Lello did his best and I even made Ziggy do his best installing them. No go.