When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Keyless works problem - any ideas?

rmcsherry

I've recently received my non-alarm Angelus 240 back from full cleaning and servicing. It looks great, but the problem is, it no longer works! Before I try to send it off again, I just wondered if it is an easy fix...

The stem winds the watch as expected, but when I pull the stem out to set the time, it seems to put extra pressure on the central wheel, causing the balance to go into overdrive (I've been careful not to put any force on it, but I'm sure it makes the BPH speed up) - the minute wheel moves and seems to jam, the hour wheel / canon pinion stay still. At first, I thought it could be that the keyless works were assembled incorrectly - but this doesn't seem to be the case. Then, I thought that the minute wheel had been replaced with one from an alarm movement, but changing it hasn't made any difference. The only thing I can think now is that the stem is for some reason incorrect (although it was tested as working before sending it for a service). Is there anything I've missed? I'd really rather not send this back, as it's a risk I'd rather not take (international postage is unreliable at best!), and I'm sure there must be a reasonably straight-forward solution to this problem.

Many thanks!

I think the problem is now solved. For anybody else that has the problem, the canon pinion appeared to be installed correctly, but seemed to be the centre of the problem, so after removing it and reinstalling (great tutorials on RWG!), the time now sets correctly and the watch runs. Keep your eyes peeled for fully assembled watch photos soon :)