When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do I change a dial?

stallonepanerai

hello,

I have a DSN watch and i would like to replace his dial with a FGD dial. I already have the watch and FGD dial. Is this something I can do myself or do i need to bring the watch to a jeweler? It seems simple to remove the movement but i am not sure how to remove and replace the hour and minute hands without damaging them!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hello,

I have a DSN watch and i would like to replace his dial with a FGD dial. I already have the watch and FGD dial. Is this something I can do myself or do i need to bring the watch to a jeweler? It seems simple to remove the movement but i am not sure how to remove and replace the hour and minute hands without damaging them!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You will need to open the caseback (need an opener)

remove the crownguard (two screws)

remove the crown&stem (one screw and some carefull pressure on the right point)

remove the movement (two screws and two caseclamps)

remove hands (need some protective cover for the dial, which you can cut from a piece of paper and some hands remover tool(s))

remove dial (depending on dial and watch might be secured with two screws or glued to the movement)

Hands are delicate pieces, easy to bend and ruin. Even though you might be able to remove them with "improper tools" (tweezer, toothpick or whatever), I personally would neverdo that. It's your choice. Like all projects, doing little things on a rep watch can be very satisfying and fun but it can also quickly turn into a nightmare if you don't use proper tools.

If you plan on doing this more often, buy (decent) tools. If this is a one-off, pay someone...

Look here for some more info:

hxxp://www.pmwf.com/Watches/WatchSchool/WS%2012%20How%20to%20remove%20and%20replace%20hands%20and%20dial/WS%2012%20How%20to%20remove%20and%20replace%20hands.htm

As chubb said. I just finish a similar project. The biggest pain for me was reinstalling the new dial (w/ feet) and getting those tiny tabs into place. I guess I have really shakey hands or something...oh and make sure you have a blower. Dust is likely to accumulate so it's best to blow away all the dust before recasing it.