When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Spring bar tool

MagnusW

I need to buy a spring bar tool for my PO so I can resize the bracelet. Can anyone recomend one? Or at least tell me what size (in mm?) I should get.

Should I buy a set like this?

Or just something simple like this? (comes in different mm). It says "For Attaching Watch Bands", but i figured it has to be for removing aswell?

Or as simple as this

Thanks for answering my n00b questions. :p

I need to buy a spring bar tool for my PO so I can resize the bracelet. Can anyone recomend one? Or at least tell me what size (in mm?) I should get.

Should I buy a set like this?

Or just something simple like this? (comes in different mm). It says "For Attaching Watch Bands", but i figured it has to be for removing aswell?

Or as simple as this

Thanks for answering my n00b questions. :p

I bought something similar to your first option, a kit with many useful tools, for about $10 including shipping from ebay from a Hong Kong company. Arrived about 2 weeks later, very useful if you know how to use the various tools, especially the spring bar tool, but really all of them, and for so little money. there are more expensive tools, eg Bergeron, but for a beginner, this does the trick. Even includes a case back remover tool and special pin pushers for the bracelet. Word of advice though on the PO links, can be tricky as they are pins that interlock. I took my PO to a watch repair guy who removed the links and sized it for $5 buck. However, I removed a second link myself with these tools.

Good luck!

I got the same one like in your first option too, and to tell you the truth, it is a piece of [censored].

First off, the blue plastic bracelet pin remover broke on the first attempt. Then one of the pin removers snapped in half. The needle nose pliers were uneven and one of the jaws also snapped off. Also another of the different sized pin removers also cleanly snapped off.

Truly a waste of money. invest in some half decent tools. Doesn't have to be expensive, just not the cheapest.

oh yeah, the philips mini screw drivers are a piece of [censored] as well.

the tiny screw drivers are not even precisely flat. one is tapered to one side.

Edited by If you see Kay

Did the toolkit that you bought for $10 last and do you still have it?

Will the kit remove the case back on Rolex and Omega watches?

Can you post the website link where you can buy this toolkit?

Thanks

I bought something similar to your first option, a kit with many useful tools, for about $10 including shipping from ebay from a Hong Kong company. Arrived about 2 weeks later, very useful if you know how to use the various tools, especially the spring bar tool, but really all of them, and for so little money. there are more expensive tools, eg Bergeron, but for a beginner, this does the trick. Even includes a case back remover tool and special pin pushers for the bracelet. Word of advice though on the PO links, can be tricky as they are pins that interlock. I took my PO to a watch repair guy who removed the links and sized it for $5 buck. However, I removed a second link myself with these tools.

Good luck!

Magnus, depends on how often you think you're going to be resizing bracelets.

Personally with pin and collar bracelets, I'd just go to a watch monkey/key cutter and ask them to resize it - easier, cheaper and potentially less hazardous, especially if you try a DIY job with crappy tools.

p.s. another big season for little Emiliano coming up ;)

Did the toolkit that you bought for $10 last and do you still have it?

Will the kit remove the case back on Rolex and Omega watches?

Can you post the website link where you can buy this toolkit?

Thanks

Start here

http://shop.ebay.com/watch%20strap%20tools...ools&_naf=1

I think I bought something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/16-WATCH-TOOL-BAND-STR...93%3A1|294%3A50

But I paid only $9.99 including shipping instead of $14.99 (does it make a difference?)

Caseback opening tool only for those case backs that have notches on the outside rim. Rolexes require more specialized tool.

As for post that its a POS, of course for the serious hobbyist, yes, but for watch strap changing and other basic tasks I disagree. However I agree with the post regarding steel bracelet sizing especailly if you have smaller wrists and take more than one link off. An inexperienced hand can shake and slip marking your watch or bracelet in the process. Hope that helps. You'd think our dealers would offer to throw in a cheap kit when you spend $1000 +, but have much more expensive (possibly better?) kits to sell you.