When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Jumping/Stuttering second hand

szvwj

I'm having an issue with a Panerai 024 with a 21J movement. The second hand seems to 'Skip' or 'Stutter'. This only happens when the second hand passes between 12 and 6, otherwise it's fine. I've tried re-seating the second hand, but that didn't help at all. The watch is keeping perfect time, but I'd like to fix this.

I know that The Zigmeister mentioned "It's just the way it is with any indirect drive center seconds movement", but since this isn't a center seconds movement, I thought it might be fixable.

Can anyone help me to figure out how to fix this?

The following are images of the movement (I thought it might help) along with a video showing the second hand stuttering.

Thanks.

th_Production1-1.jpg

024_movement_1.jpg

024_movement_2.jpg

024_movement_3.jpg

You just answered your own question.

Turn the watch upside down, and I'll bet the stuttering happens between 6 and 12. Gravity sucks, in more ways that one, when the hand goes with gravity you see the slack between the gear teeth, when the hand goes against gravity, the slack is taken up.

It's sort of the same problem I already mentioned, the spacing between the gears is causing the jumpiness, as with the other problem, it's not fixable.

I see.. it's the spacing between the gears (darn cheap movements). Thanks for the quick reply!! It will save me from taking it all apart (for no reason).

It's all so obvious when you describe it, I wish I had your knowledge. Thanks again.

Edited by szvwj

You just answered your own question.

Turn the watch upside down, and I'll bet the stuttering happens between 6 and 12. Gravity sucks, in more ways that one, when the hand goes with gravity you see the slack between the gear teeth, when the hand goes against gravity, the slack is taken up.

It's sort of the same problem I already mentioned, the spacing between the gears is causing the jumpiness, as with the other problem, it's not fixable.

[/quote

This is the same problem I had with my beginmariner and the reason I sent it back.

Thanks for confirming The Zigmeister

At first I thought you were referring to the International Society of Supervillains. I imagined you in a cape with a big 'Z' on your chest (yea, I have a vivid imagination).

As I age, gravity is becoming a bigger and bigger problem (along with my belly). I'd love to visit the ISS. If I ever do, I have just the watch to take with me :D .