When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bezel removal and crystal question on 104 or 240

LandM42006

My first post.

Hello all. I have a question that I have been researching with no solid answer as of yet: How to remove the bezel on a Pam. I own a 104 and a 240, and have acquired lower bezels for them. How do I make this fix happen? I have seen some of the input from the below mentioned link:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showto...l=bezel+removal

I do not have a crystal press. Secondly, are there any pics to tell me where I should put the case knife in, etc etc.

Lastly, will the crystal now stand higher than the bezel?

What to do?

Signed,

Frustrated Noob to Modding Pams

I would also be interested in an answer to this, and would like to add that the bezels in question are from DSN for his titanium automatic cases which where acquired from him more than 3 months ago. All his latest cases have the lower profile bezel.

Both removing a crystal and a bezel requires a crystal press. A screw-in press, not a push-down one.

You can remove a bezel+crystal ensemble without a press, just with a watchsmith knife, but it is a very hard and tricky task and you are almost guaranteed you are going to scratch the case and/or to warp the bezel. And to possibly pop out the crystal, which would require a crystal press to get it back in.

If you are willing to use a crystal press then post here again, I'll tell you which press to get and how to use it.

He already did the swap, using the knife. Ended up with some scratches, but was able to remove them using an ink eraser. If he has anything to add, I'm sure he'll jump in.

But why do you say that a screw-in press is required and not a push-down one? I've seen a couple of "modders" post some great tutorials using the push-down one, with great results.

He already did the swap, using the knife. Ended up with some scratches, but was able to remove them using an ink eraser. If he has anything to add, I'm sure he'll jump in.

Glad to read that. :)

But why do you say that a screw-in press is required and not a push-down one? I've seen a couple of "modders" post some great tutorials using the push-down one, with great results.

Well, actually a screw-in press is not mandatory, also a push-down one may work, but a screw-in press allows to press much more smoothly and by applying a very controlled pressure, so that as soon as the bezel pops out you can release the pressure istantaneously and avoid any possible damage to the parts.

But I see that I may be picky and other members are successful in working their way out even with less fitted tools. :)